Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can my son's school not let him back until his immunizations are caught up?

Answer Question

Asked by 3boyz1977 at 3:23 PM on Oct. 9, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • Yes, unless you have a Religious waiver. My SIL refused to have them done and she ended up in court because her boys missed two months of school. Can't say 100% for your state but here in TN, You either have to have an up-to-date Shot Record or a Waiver signed by your pastor or whatever your religion calls for and it has to be signed a notorized (sp) at the Health Dept.

    Answer by JEAmom3 at 3:27 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

  • thank you

    Answer by 3boyz1977 at 3:31 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

  • if you dont want shots, you can also be a conscientious objector (at least in arkansas). so you dont have to have a pastor sign anything. i would call up a local attorney and ask. it might be a while before they call you back (usually takes around a week). but its worth a shot. or i guess you can call the school also, but they might not be as happy to tell you lol

    Answer by AmandaN1 at 3:33 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

  • In Michigan all you have to sign is a waiver...though I know other states are tougher. My littlest has egg allergies and has missed his MMR's because of it.

    Answer by Tarinia at 6:29 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

  • All states have waivers for religion, medical and SOME have them for personal reasons. Check in your state and find out. NO ONE has to vaccinate their children.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:04 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

  • any state allowing waivers for religion only is practicing religious discrimination

    Answer by autodidact at 11:26 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

  • I did not sign any waiver. I told them my childs health information was protected by Hippa laws and enrolled him. They did not even try to question it. I am in Iowa. I did not release any medical records to them when he was enrolled this year. None of their business.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

  • If you started the shots, I don't think you can just change and say now you don't want them. I'm not sure what documentation you would need. There are free shot clinics all over MI at the Health Departments. Not all shots are required, but they can exclude your child until you are up to date.

    Answer by Teachermom01 at 9:22 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

  • Talk to your doctor, they usually can help. There are waviers to fill out, I was told the local health dept. should have them. Just b/c you start shots does not mean you have to finish them.

    Answer by mom-2-4boys at 6:21 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.