Projectile Vomit

First Time Mother & Breastfeeding. ok basics covered my baby is 5 weeks old, and he ate around like 2 so hour and a half ago, he fell asleep in my arms and i was holding him (he was on his back) and all of a sudden it was like a cat before they puke, i sat him up and it was projectile vomit and it seemed like a lot, some came out his nose. It was milk color and he seems fine now, smiles, and is now laying next to me staring at me with hiccups. needless to say I freaked out, I was crying it scared me so much... is this normal or should I call someone? this is the first time he has ever done this, now i'm scared to even leave his side.

kduffy

Asked by kduffy at 3:28 PM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, it is normal for some to come out of your baby's nose because they are not fully developed yet in the reflexive system. My baby's have always projectile vomited from time to time and while it's disturbing if it's a one time thing the doctor told me that it's generally a completely fine occurrence. Good Luck honey.
    mommatomanyy

Answer by mommatomanyy at 3:31 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• *Change if it's to providing it's

:)
    mommatomanyy

Answer by mommatomanyy at 3:32 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• What'd you eat today? Maybe you ate something that didn't agree with him.

Think hard about what you ate and if any of it sounds like it could upset a little tummy do not eat it again.

Take his temperature. If he has a fever, maybe he's sick. If there is a fever, call the doctor.

And if no fever and there is nothing unusual you ate or anything that'd possibly upset a babies stomach then just watch and wait.. maybe it was a fluke or something gagged the baby ! They have sensitive gag reflexes.
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 3:33 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I was going to say the same things.. maybe it's something you ate.. or he might just needed to be burped. My son did that once it freaked me out but he was fine. I overfed him and that was the cause.
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 3:50 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• they can projectile vomit from overfeeding?, i had chocolate chip pancakes and coffee today, the coffee is an everyday thing, pancakes are normal they only differance was the chocolate chips
    kduffy

Answer by kduffy at 3:52 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• yes i fed him to much and he didnt burp so when the air came out from me not burping him it sent the puke flying!!
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 12:54 PM on Oct. 10, 2009