No Pacifier for 6 weeks?

I have a friend that just had a baby and was told as long as she is breast feeding her baby she isn't supposed to give her little girl a pacifier for 6 weeks due to nipple confusion. So that poor baby is eating all the time and fussy too. Anyone else heard of this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:43 PM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've never heard it and think it is BS. I EBF 3 kids all past age 2. Everyone of them had a paci from day one or two.
    Anonymous

• Give that baby a pacifier!!!
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 3:47 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Yes. The standard recommendation is no artificial nipples for the frist six weeks. A fussing baby should be put to breast. She should expect a newborn to be at the breast 2/3 of the day.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:44 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• i heard that, but sorry my baby was just toooo into sucking. he got a paci and was fine. also had a couple different bottles at 6 weeks when i had to go back to work. if she's getting frustrated she can try the paci but if baby starts having issues BF-ing then i'd take it away immediately.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 3:47 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I breastfed and gave my newborn son a paci. There are pacifiers out there who kinda looks like nipples and those don't cause a confusion, at least my son never had one and he was EBF.
    Anonymous

• yes, is true!! i wish i had stuck to the rule and maybe i would have bf succesfully
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:56 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I've heard it, but I don't totally buy it.

I only heard it after my first, who I gave a paci to right away, was born. We had no real problem with breastfeeding, but she didn't really care for the paci either.

With my next I was dead set against using a paci because for some reason I bought into the whole "it will ruin breastfeeding" thing. Nursing my 2nd was a nightmare that actually only improved at 5 weeks when I gave in and pulled out a paci. My husband asked me why I hadn't thought of it sooner.
    Anonymous

• OK. For all the non-beleivers.

The no-pacifier rule serves several purposes.

1. Baby at the breast increases supply. Often I've seen moms who have supply issues and an artificial nipple was to blame...baby wasn't pacifying at the breast and the body didn't get enough sitmulation. Remember that MOM is NEVER a pacifier. A pacifier is a replacement for MOM.

2. A pacifier can encourage baby to change the latch. And *that* can be very painful for mom.

Tell her if she wants she can try the pacifier. If nursing starts to hurt, DITCH IT.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:59 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• to the mom is never a replacement....why is it that my son would fall asleep with the nipple in his mouth, but not sucking. or throwing a fit, only to suckle a min and fall back asleep. (i'm not trying to start a fight, i'm really curious now). i can see where some moms may get confused and give a paci instead of feeding, and how that could effect supply. but my son gained weight FAST and is now 22 pounds at 10 months and left the hospital at birth at only 6lb 6oz. i'm assuming its just a misunderstanding. what do you think?
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 6:27 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Mom can't be a replacement for a pacifier because mom came first. Babies are made to have strong suck reflexes and pacify at the breast to ensure mom makes a good supply of milk. You don't always need the extra stimulation, but some do. Comfort nursing serves just as much purpose as eating when it comes to breastfeeding. It teaches the child to trust and get comfort from mom (instead of an inanimate object) and forms a strong attachment which serves mom and baby throughout their lives, really.
    Also, the child is naturally weaned from comfort nursing at the breast. There's no "paci fairy" or fight to get rid of it... plus a toddler can't walk around with a boob in their mouth (but boy do they try! lol) so they don't have issues with speech development and nursing actually helps develop the jaw (as opposed to causing dental issues like a paci).
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 8:24 PM on Oct. 9, 2009