Is tolerance REALLY the answer?

I've noticed lots of pleas in this forum for tolerance of one anothers' beliefs and about co-existing as human beings, as if we can just leave our labels behind and see the real person behind those labels. Tolerance and co-existence are lovely, high-minded concepts, much like World Peace. But are they realistic? We are, at the root of things, tribal territorial animals after all. Is it possible to forget labels like "christian", "atheist", "pagan", "gay" and get to know one another as fellow women? Or should we just agree that this isn't going to happen? All respectful viewpoints accepted.

witchqueen

Asked by witchqueen at 4:12 PM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• "At the root of things, we are tribal territorial animals."

I believe that as humans, we have evolved beyond territorial animals. Tolerance is a sign of enlightenment and security in your own faith. Have your opinion, share it and be open to others opinions. That doesn't mean you have to change yours. Believe in what you want and allow others to as well. Don't be an animal, be a human.
    jessflynn

Answer by jessflynn at 6:08 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I think that with out a doubt you can put those things aside. I met my best friend while at her husbands job ( a tattoo parlor) I came in to get something done for my daughter and she perked up about being pregnant and we talked about babies the entire time I was getting tattooed- the friendship began right then and there and we didn't discuss religon or our beliefs for about a year. I am Christian she is not.
    Sarah1220

Answer by Sarah1220 at 4:17 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I strive to look beyond stereotypes. I know I am not always successful and realize I quiet often accept them and occasionally even promote them. But I try. I think if we all tried, while we might not completely get rid of them, there would be a lot more understanding and sharing of ideas. Maybe if we worked on it more, the next generation would have less of them and they could work on it, and on, and on till we got rid of them completely.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 4:17 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• And I agree with anon- in real life I don't have discussions like this on the playground.
    Sarah1220

• "You should visit Africa sometime"

Sure i could understand if these were all native african women, but they're not. They're timid housewives who would never say such things in real life.
    Anonymous

• Honestly I think tolerance is the answer. We are on this site because we share common ground being mothers. If anything we can learn from others views. Diversity is a scary thing to people, it's the fear of the unknown, the anger of differences in opinion. I welcome diversity in my own life so I can learn, become cultured and it opens my mind. I realize some people will always stick to what they know and I need to be respectful of that as well.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 4:22 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• although I would different words than the first anon I do agree.

In real life I don't sit down at McDonald's and inspect the cup for Christian words and I do find them I don't yell cowardly. I don't share my religion unless asked about it. When I am asked it is normally on CM or at a church function.

A few months ago I met my child's librarian. She was talking about going to school. I knew our parish offered scholarships. It was the hard to pull our "are you Catholic" into the conversation. I was happy when she said yes and I could tell her about the scholarship, but religion doesn't just slip into the conversation IFL
    Anonymous

• LOL, it's so funny - the only place I see religion wars is online. ~ Anon

I agree.
    s.a.d.k.mommy

Answer by s.a.d.k.mommy at 4:23 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• You should visit Africa sometime.
    __

while I would love to make that trip, it still doesn't change MY reality of life or my real life experience.
    Anonymous

• I disagree with the idea that it's only on line, maybe I live in a more religious area but I hear discussions, they are not common and not generally the first thing people discuss, but they are there. We even have a faith and values section in the paper on Saturday. We have had letters to the editor regarding churches and homosexuality (both sides) The Islamic community is working on educating the rest of us about their faith, and so is the Jewish community. Now I will say it is much more concentrated here and much more emotionally charged, but that's just cause this section tends to attract people with strong views.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 4:37 PM on Oct. 9, 2009