Is it ok to take a baby out in the cold?

It's getting cold and I've been making my toddler DD dress warmly. When hubby wants to rush her out to play, he refuses to dress her how I say. I told him you can't take a baby out to play in the cold without socks, pants and a sweater. He says it's BS and the cold doesn't hurt or get you sick. When I get cold, my body aches, my nose runs, I get sinus headaches, I just feel miserable. But he says there's no way the cold just makes you sick.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:17 PM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Yes, he should dress her warmly. I have the same fight with certain relatives.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 4:19 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I have heard and read that cold doesn't make you sick. but I feel that if you are so cold that you shiver, that your resistance is lower and you may be more susceptible to catching what is around. Running around does help warm up the body, so bundling a child up so she is warm if she stands still in the cold is different than if she is going to be running around, but even so, she shouldn't be shivering from the cold if she is playing outside.

Answer by Bmat at 4:20 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• If your cold and YOU would bundle up then bundle your baby up. Tell him stick to what he knows and you'll stick to being a mommy!!
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 4:21 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• You do not get sick from the cold weather, unless the weather has a virus or something it isn't possible. What you described happening when you're cold is not an illness.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 4:23 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• No, technically there's no way the cold weather could make your DD sick. BUT would you really want your DD shivering and feeling cold? So yep go with what you think! Tell your hubby to wrap her up. And it's not proven yet but I do reckon being cold and shivery does reduce your immune system's effectiveness. But obviously that's a personal opinion.
    mommatomanyy

Answer by mommatomanyy at 4:27 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• It might not make her sick as in flu or a cold. But it kill her or give her hypothermia. If she stays out in the cold to long

Answer by louise2 at 4:28 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• In order for the cold weather affect the body you'd have to be exposed to incredibly low temps for long periods of time. (think Hypopthermia..) even then you aren't going to get sick from it. The reason your body shivers is because that's its natural way of increasing blood flow and warming the body up.. like a animal pants when they are hot, same thing for a human body shivering when it's cold. Not because the immune system is being affected.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 4:32 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Germs make you sick, not cold temperatures.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:36 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• cold dont get u sick germs do but u should atleast wear pants and a jacket
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 4:45 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Wait a minute....is he taking the toddler out in the cold or the baby? Babies have a harder time keeping their body temperature up and should definitely be dressed warmer (general recommendation is one more layer than what you are wearing)

A toddler, it's usually said, can wear the same clothes you're wearing when you go outside.
    Anonymous