Ever get those moments when you just feel you can't do it anymore?

I'm tired, I'm sick, the little one's screaming her heart out...the breast feeding is killing me...her 4 older sisters are all going on at me, even the 14 yr old...who is normally so nice. I'm at breaking point. My husband's still at his parent's hosue because he's had a bereavement and I just feel like I can't do it anymore. I'm just SO tired. You'd think I'd be used to it after 14 years. I feel as if I'm failing as a mother because they all keep screaming that they hate me... UGH. Anyone get like this sometimes? Feel free to rant if you wish, I think I just did... (stops ignoring children)

mommatomanyy

Asked by mommatomanyy at 4:21 PM on Oct. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• omg, you have 5 kids? no wonder you are tired, I have 1 and he's only 23 months and i want to run away somedays. Yeah, you have the right to feel this way - haha...good luck...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:28 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• You are feeling vulnerable because you are so tired and emotional. You, however, are the head of the family - not the children. YOU are in charge, not the children. Stand up, don't take that sass from them, send them to their rooms now. The baby is probably picking up on your tiredness and sadness. Take charge. It's tough when you are feeling poorly, but you have the be the leader of the pack, otherwise, as you are observing, the pack will turn on you. Don't let them get away with being disrespectful - you need to put a stop to that right now or it will only get worse. Assert yourself.

Answer by Bmat at 4:29 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I have one too and I feel that way sometimes...
    And a house full of girls...got to love that :)
    Lauren24

Answer by Lauren24 at 4:30 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I hope I wasn't too rough in my above post. :( I meant to give you some encouragement, but I don't think it really came out like that. I hope you feel much better soon.

Answer by Bmat at 4:33 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I once heard if a kid hates their parents then they are doing their job right. But you should not put up with the disrespect.
    Suggestion #1 Put the baby down for a nap, tell the 14 y/o to take the other ones out in the yard to play. Make your self a cup of tea and watch some TV.
    Suggestion #2 Smack them when they say they hate you. Tell themIf you hate someone it means you want them to die. Give them all a list of chores to do on the opposite end of the house from you. Put the baby down for a nap. Take a nap yourself. Gl momma hang in there
    4monkees

Answer by 4monkees at 4:38 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• There are many days where I just want to give up. But I think its mostly do to me being confused about my marriage.
    Anonymous

• Your dh is away because of a death in the family, that is going to be a lot of why everyone is acting up at once. Kids know when something isn't right but don't always realize that it is affecting them. When FIL died several months ago my normal sweet 4 yr old turned into a demon at the drop of a hat - crying, acting up with us. It took us a bit, but he turned back into a sweet kid once we asked if he missed grandpa.

You are also frustrated. You have 5 kids and no help at the moment. You are going to be stressed. Talk to your oldest 2 when you have a spare moment and lay on the line for them - I know we are all stressed and miss daddy while he's gone, but I need your help. It will probably make them feel all grown up and helpful, as well as opening a line of communication that you all need.

Good luck and BIG HUGS!!!
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 5:34 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I have 5 kids too ages 13 to 15 months and yes, I have days where I feel i cant do it anymore. 3 of our children have ADHD, one has ADHD and a mild case of Aspergers. The baby has a chromosomal disorder, eczema and severe food allergies. I told my mother the other day that I want her to cross stitch me a sign for my living room that says "If it isnt one thing, its another!" That statement is the story of my life...lol There are days that I seriously want to pull my hair out. Yesterday was one of those days...both the 13 year old and the 9 year old needed help with math homework, the baby was having one of those days where only being attached to mama's hip would do, the 6 year old was in meltdown mode because he couldnt find his game, and my hudband wasnt due home from work for another 2 hours. Feeling overwhelmed is normal...On the days I feel like Im losing it, I make a point of peeking in on the sleeping children...cont.
    Tarinia

Answer by Tarinia at 5:58 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• before I go to bed (because at any age, they are little angels when sleeping) and making a point to thank God for what I have, even if Im begging Him for patience throughout the rest of the day!

Big Hugs, mama...raising 5 is quite a handful, Im right there with you :)
    Tarinia

Answer by Tarinia at 6:00 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• my god, i have only one and work full time, and i feel like that all the time! i cant imagine how you do it!
    heidi1439

Answer by heidi1439 at 11:14 PM on Oct. 11, 2009