Problems with the landlord

Since June of this year 3 trees have fallen on our house.
The first one a limb pierced through the roof. Thank God we were not home because our car would of been totaled.
(Keep in mind we live in a trailor)
The second time me and my son were home and it smashed our front porch off. Another tree also fell in the backyard and smashed the dish thing. Good thing we don't have cable.
The third time it knocked a window and a wall out. My son and I were also home again.
It took 2 weeks-4 weeks each time to fix the problems completely if you even want to call it that.
We have been here 2 years in Jan. We signed a year lease when we moved in and they never gave us a copy or redid another one. Our rent is 375 a month. Right now we are behind and owe about 650.
Should we just leave and not pay? Will they take us to court?
Two of the three times this crap happened it was raining. We live in OK so the weather is crazy. I'm terrified.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:48 PM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Home & Garden

• i just moved out of oklahoma and it was so bad there for landlords they r all slum lords it seems....just move dont pay them anything where in ok do u live?
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 4:51 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• i lived in durant and i had went to court bc of a landlord and they got everything and they cant take u to court bc u only had a year lease and have been there for two so forget it just move....
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 4:52 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• are the problems fixed now? if so it doesnt matter how long it took him to repair but the fact it is done...and if it was raining that is EXACTLY why it took so long....i had a leak in my bedroom closet and it took them a few weeks to fix it because it was raining...they had to wait till the weather said there would be a few dry days in a row, AND wait for the roof and all wood to dry out or it could warp and bend....so it sounds like even if you move you still owe them rent...if he does take you to court for back rent and you have no signed lease it will depend on the judge...most likely they will make you pay it though because you knew the terms of the first lease and you cant live anywhere for free now a days.
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 4:54 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• They were suppose to cut down the trees and still haven't even done that.
    The shower was leaked since we moved in and they haven't fixed that.
    Our bedroom door stripped and they still haven't fixed that.
    This was all before we were even this behind.
    They were suppose to paint the outside but never did.
    They didn't even hire an electrician when they had to redo where the wall was craved in.
    Anonymous

• if you have been keeping track of everything and noting everything....if they decide to take you to court you MIGHT have a chance...it all will depend on the judge....but thats up to you...i myself wouldnt be able to do that....if its money owed, its owed....but dont settle for the repair work that isnt happening...start telling him you are going to do it yourself or hire someone and deduct it out of your rent.
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 5:35 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Put what you rent money part or all of it in a special accord just for that purpose because you are head for court. And want to show the judge this accord and then ant pictures you have took of the damage. A;so send a cir-field letter to your land lord that he needs to fix these problems and that you have put his money in a special account.
    Alieda

Answer by Alieda at 7:00 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• did u send them certified letters?
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 8:58 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Um, it's 375.00 a month. I wouldn't expect too much. I wouldn't repaint either. Either pay up or move.
    Anonymous

• I would send him a letter (prefably on a computer so you can save it) and list all the things wrong or broken in your home... And then the thiings that are a health hazard state that... (like hanging lights where you can see their cords. light sockets that power cords fall out of) GIve him a deadline then find out if you have a housing authority or something and find out what you should do next. here in Maine we have a Community Action to help us with these things. Letters with deadlines work, at least with me and hoping they will with you too!
    fireangel0310

Answer by fireangel0310 at 4:16 PM on Oct. 10, 2009