Can I give my son some cranberry capsules (the inside, not the capsule itself) for possible uti??

I have some cranberry capsules here at home. I bought them at the health food store, so they don't contain a bunch of crap in them. My son keeps acting like his "pee pee" hurts but not sure what the deal is. Gonna make him a doc. appt anyway, but until then, do you think it's safe for me to give him some of a cranberry capsule? I will open the capsule, pour the powder in some water. What do you think? He's 2 years old, btw. Thanks. :)

workathome01

Asked by workathome01 at 5:04 PM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would just go with some regular cranberry juice.
    Anonymous

• A good 100 percent(not 10 percent juice stuff kwim) cranberry juice would be better. Some of those capsules are way stronger dose than a child should have. If he won't drink cranberry juice, you can have him drink really any other acidic juice. (a nurse practioner told me that)
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 5:20 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Why would you consider giving your toddler son something designed for an adult?
    Anonymous

• Make your own cranberry juice, cranberries are in season right now. Even if they are from the health food store, you never know how children are going to react. By the way those capsules can sometimes contain natural bacteria, which are generally fine for grown women and help the UTI in a grown woman, but not sure what it would do in a small male child.
    Supervane

Answer by Supervane at 8:30 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Go with 100% juice you may have to mix with another juice for flavor. Remember though Cranberry juice is good for UT health but does not cure a UTI.
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 10:26 PM on Oct. 9, 2009