Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


Me and my ( ex )boyfriend split up on October 1st and we were living together in MY apartment. He moved in with his brother now. I let him take her on October 4th to spend time with him and now he wont give her back to me. I went over there to where his brother lives to try and pick her up but he told me to go home. I even called the cops to see if they could help but they wouldnt. What else can I do?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 5:52 PM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Relationships

Answers (8)
  • File for custudy

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:53 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

  • go to your local courthouse and talk to someone higher than just a cop. did he just take her or does he have custody?

    Answer by Steph319 at 5:56 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

  • No he doesnt have custody of her...he is on the birth certificate though.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:01 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

  • If neither of you have custody there is nothing the police can do unless you go file.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:18 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

  • You need a lawyer. If he's on the birth certificate it's not kidnapping, so the police can't do anything. However, because of what he's done, a lawyer may be able to remove visitation, or even make it so that he only has supervised visitation. You need to file for custody immediately, or the court will wonder why you haven't. Also the person who files first generally has an advantage. Your lawyer may be able to make him pay your legal fees.

    I'm so sorry you're going through this, I know this must be frantic. Please let us know what happens.

    Answer by ohwrite at 6:20 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

  • He might be worried you won't allow him to have her again. Why not call him ask to meet at a neutral place and talk things out. Let him know you feel you both should be in her life and come up with a reasonable visitation schedule then get it approved with the courts and filed. Men get screwed when it comes to custody everyday especially when they are not married to the mom. He is probably afraid of only seeing her twice a month and I can understand that. You two need to talk and you both need to get an attorney and a counselor. You both need to put aside what you each want and do what is right for that child which is to see mom and dad. Hope you guys can work it out.


    Answer by Anonymous at 6:41 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

  • Get an attorney (or legal aid) and get custody of her.

    Answer by admckenzie at 6:50 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

  • Also, remember that just as easily as he took her, you can take her back.  Call CPS and get them involved.  Thats what my husbands friend did.  Go to the actual police station and see what you can do.  CPS really helped hubs friend so hopefully, they will help you too! 


    Answer by Katrina3016 at 8:49 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.