smoke and newborns

Do you feel that just the odor of smoke on someones clothing is harmful to a newborn? I personally dont but wonder how you feel and why you feel that way. TIA!

Steph319

Asked by Steph319 at 5:53 PM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Health

• There is particulate matter in cigarette smoke which is why it leaves a residue on anything it comes into contact with. The residue contains the same carcinogens as the smoke. The odds of a healthy child getting sick just by touching a smoker are very low but a baby with an already compromised immune system and / or severe allergies is a different story altogether and I would not allow that child to be around a smoker. (I smoked for over 15 years and couldn't quit until the day I found out I was pregnant. I haven't smoked once since.)

ktok2009

Answer by ktok2009 at 6:26 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Yes I do, and in fact, I have had a pediatrician tell me this exact thing before. If you are able to smell the smoke then the harmful air has made it into your nostrils and therefore into your lungs....no matter how small the amount it is still there. And for little babies even a little is a lot.

My SIL has a son who has SEVERE ear infections. The ped. asked her if anyone smoked around him, she said no. Then he asked does anyone one in the family smoke and then hold him, she said, yes. He said that small of an amount was enough to trigger an infection. (I am not making this up, it was said to her by a Dr)
    Anonymous

• then why dont kids get constant ear infections from smelling car fumes that are in the air? Just playing devils advocate. But seriously my mom smoked in the housed and i only had a few ear infections in my life. My nephew gets them ALL the time and is never around it. Why dont kids get them from the smell of poop? lol Just saying its hard to believe that a bad fume can trigger infection. just my opinion though
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:04 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• there have been studies that say it is harmful to everyone, not just kids. its called third hand smoke. and yes i do think its harmful
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 6:16 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• as for your argument about car fumes, car fumes have somewhere to go, if a child where sitting with someone who'd just sat behind a car in the fumes, i'd bet they'd have a bad reaction to that as well. just like gas fumes give some people headaches. can it trigger ear infections, it may be a determining factor in saying that a kid gets them more, but i'd also guess it could probably be b/c when most people hold a baby they hold him in the crook of the arm, therefore the ear is pressed against their shirt, if fumes are coming off the shirt into the air (which they do, thats why when someone smokes a cigg you can smell it on them) they are going straight into the ear canal as well. that'd be my guess as to why it can cause ear infections.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 6:18 PM on Oct. 9, 2009