Language and tone around my son

My son and I live with my pare nts. Recently I overheard my son say something that I have deemed inappropriate for him. When I asked him who taught him that word he said my father had. How can I convince m family to clean up their language so this doesn't happen again?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:04 PM on Oct. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• Your best bet is to have ur son spend less time w/ him. They r older and set in their ways, u r in their house and that is bound to happen and it's normal really. Sooooo, adjust his time, IDK, daycare or after school care. It's nothing to get uptight about either. Kids will learn everything in life we need to teach them that it's inappropriate in certain environments cuz honestly u want to hear and know everything your kid knows and says. It's your vantage point as a mom.
    milmiracle

Answer by milmiracle at 6:12 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• you cant make them. you can ask them nicely but point is that its their house and you are their guest right? if i were you i would focus on teaching your child that it is unacceptable for them to talk that way. explain why. good luck!
    idebusashes

Answer by idebusashes at 6:07 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I agree with the first poster. All you can really do is ask nicely and set a good example with your own behavior.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 6:11 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• The thing is my parents would have beat me if i had usd the language my father taught my son.
    Anonymous

• My SO's family are big potty mouths. I have discovered that you kids will hear bad words no matter how hard you try to prevent it. We tell all the kids those are grown-up words and they can't say them. None of the kids ever swear.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 9:26 PM on Oct. 9, 2009