14 month old brat

My 14 month old will pitch tempertantrams in public if she being held and can't run away freely or if you take something away from her she shouldn't have or if she just isn't getting things she wants. I didn't think they could act this way this young. So this is my 1st child and I do not know how to treat her or punish her in public. I hate seeing other parents hit their children in public or scream at their children in public. So what are things y'all do when your toddler starts acting like this?

ABPeterson

Asked by ABPeterson at 6:52 PM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• OK....14 mo old is too young to just hit or scream at. You aren't teaching them anything at this age by doing this (or any other age IMO).....I always had distractions for my son when we went out...that helped alot to keep his mind (and hands) busy. Make sure he isn't hungry either-that's a disaster waiting to happen. If you know you will be gone for while, consider leaving him home-you'll get alot more done and faster.
    Anonymous

• The best thing to do with a child that age is to distract them with something fun. I usually play patty cake with my son. He's nearly 18 months old. This behavior is characteristic of this age. I always say the terribles last from age 1 to age 3.5 and sometimes longer. Definately the best thing to do is to do something fun with them that they find entertaining. At home I make my son go to his room for acting up, hitting, biting, etc. It's much more effective than a swat on the butt for sure. He hates isolation.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 6:59 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• DUH ANON! She specifically said she didn't want to hit or scream her DAUGHTER! Can't you even read? I hate when people answer questions without first reading the question properly!
    Anonymous

• Sugar free lollipops!!!!
    Anonymous

• my now 16mtonh old does this too,she throws herslef back sometimes and most times lays down so its hard for u to pick her up,i let her lay there for a few seconds then i pick her up.and do it all over again 2minutes later.i dont yell at her i just tell her no,u better not.i let her have some freedom when we shop,but i get her if she gets into stuff or runs.she realy loves pushing the cart and puting stuff in there. give her something to carry so she feels like she is helping u shop.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 7:55 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• three options and i would do them in this order...
    toy or snack as distraction
    ignore (for as long as you can handle or untill people start glaring...lol)
    remove from the store and strap her into her carseat and stand outside the door of the car till she calms down, if lasts too long you might want to leave and come back later.
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 8:00 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Hi I think any anwer is wrong, try to be civil to one another please when answering questions, for me I've been on both sides of the fence. I think we all have. As a customer shopping it's very annoying when young toddlers are just allow to scream kick and perform in public and even though we all know it's a public place, its still not a great way to enjoy shopping with kids screaming and acting out. so like most of the Mom's suggest you should take treats, and distractions for her. You should if at all possible, never take her to the store hungry or wet, or during nap time. Kids have a very short fuse at this point. They don't tolerate lengthy shopping trips, so we must know our kids level of patience. We can curtail our shopping til later if you know she's tired or is just plain irritable. However, kids still have to be taught tolerance and structure at a young age. You also have to let her know boundaries. She must learn it
    flea575

Answer by flea575 at 9:12 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• My 15 month old gets like that at times. If we're at the grocery store, I ignore her tantrums, which only last less than a minute. When she sees that I'm not paying any attention to her, she stops crying. I also give her something to fiddle with-like an extra copy of my shopping list, or some food item from the cart (I don't let her put them in her mouth, however). Because I use a shopping list, I am in and out of the store fairly quickly.

Oh yeah, while we're waiting in line, I give her a sippy cup of water and perhaps a wheat saltine to nibble on.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 10:12 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• When any of my kids acted like that , we would just leave the store and go home.
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 10:31 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• If you just leave the store, you're missing out on teaching your child valuable lessons. It's embarrassing when your child has a tantrum in the store, but ALL parents have been there at one time or another. The only people that may judge you are the "holier-than-thou"'s that have forgotten what is was like to be the parent of a toddler. Don't let their stares get to you. Teach your child that no matter where you are, you are STILL the momma.
    Anonymous