How can I attain that calm wisdom that I want so much?

You usually only see it in priests in the movies. That slow, patient manner, the deep, abiding wisdom.

I'm a patient person. But I am also a passionate person. How can I learn to be calmer, more centered? To read people more thoughtfully?

I feel like I am on my way... but I'm also a little lost, if that makes any sense. Lol.

So... what are your thoughts? Is this something that only time can grant me? Opinions, thoughts?

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 6:53 PM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• My thoughts....meditation. Just take a few minutes to sit or kneel or lay in a bathtub in the morning and focus on your breathing. Let everything slip away but your breath. Listen to it, picture someplace calm in your head like a forest or beach or whatever is quiet for you.

If thats kinda hard then sit and focus on a candle flame as you blank out your mind( I do that by thinking of a blank, new chalkboard and it helps me go to sleep faster at night when my mind tends to wander LOL).

Just take that time to focus on your breath and go from there. It does help calm things, for me anyway. Just take 5 mins or 10 if you can. Doesnt have to be long periods of time.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 6:57 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I definitely don't think I have attained 'calm wisdom.' However, I do find the thing that has most enabled me to calm down and behave more wisely is to be aware of my emotional state and to mindfully consider my response. So often we respond in a knee-jerk kind of way to things. Like a puppet having strings pulled from off-scene, we respond without being conscious of why and how we act as we do. Actually taking time to take stock of how I'm feeling/what I'm thinking without acting has definitely calmed me, and I think has helped me to make wiser choices about how to handle things. Mindfulness is a big thing for me... learning to watch my own mind and be much more self-aware.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 6:59 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• wisdom comes with experience but the calm part is all you.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 7:53 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• time and experience

Answer by admckenzie at 8:00 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• patience comes through trials.
    Anonymous

• Tiiiiiiime. Unfortunately I think that's the only thing that can calm an impatient mind. Maybe look into meditation or yoga, something that'll calm your body and your spirit. I think it's normal to be restless when you're young.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:28 PM on Oct. 10, 2009