Does Anyone cook with Venison?

I have a freezer full of venison and I'm always looking for new ways to cook it, thanks for any new ideas

Mankermom

Asked by Mankermom at 7:49 PM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Food & Drink

• looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 7:52 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• jerky, chili, and crock pots are good ways to handle it. It does well braising and slow cooking bc it's so lean. any beef recipe that is cooked with one of those techniques will work nicely.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:53 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• My dad mixes ground venison and ground beef to make chili.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:15 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• My husband is a hunter, so we eat wild game all the time. I just cook vension like you would beef. They are pretty much interchangable.
    kimmykim

Answer by kimmykim at 11:21 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Depends how it was processed. I prefer roasts (our last deer was all roasts, what couldn't be roast was ground & made into jerky sticks). But any way you can think of to make beef, you can do with deer meat. I personally use a LOT of seasonings (beef boullion, pepper, onion, etc) to cover the gamey flavor. Our family's favorite is to throw roast in the crock pot, pour on a packet of onion soup mix, a bunch of pepper, some oil (since deer meat has no fat), and some water, and when it's done, shred it and eat on buns, sometimes barbequed.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 1:18 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• BAMBI!?!?!?!?

simple frown

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:26 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Ok this is to the person that wrote BAMBI... First off my husband hit a big buck and totaled our van,,, the deer was fresh so he took it to the butcher shop and had it processed, so that it didn't die for no good reason, We figured it could feed our family for the winter. Why let it lay there and go to waste. Second , as a family that has to watch every penny, so that I can be a stay at home mom, My husband does hunt to provide for his family. Maybe if more men stepped up and did this to help support their families then less tax money would go for food stamps.
    Mankermom

Answer by Mankermom at 12:40 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• you can make corned venison pretty easy too! anything you would do with beef except keep in mind it is EXTRA lean! so you need to add some fat. google recipie. Ted Nugent has a nice game cookbook too
    I processed my own when it was hit with our car. It was fresh and cold out. And don't worry about the Bambi comment. she must be a city slicker.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 12:35 PM on Oct. 12, 2009