can i give a 3mth old water?

my daughter will be four months in 11 days. My mother keep telling me to give her water, but when she was 4 wks her pediatrician told me notto because it will make her iron low. I don't know if its ok now or not.

*she goes back to the doctor @ 6 mths.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:01 PM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Because human milk (or formula) is mostly water, additional water can cause water intoxication, seizures and death. No water until after you start solids.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 8:11 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• YES!! come on silly ur body is mosty water so of course u can give her water!! they say she doesnt really need it but you can give it to them most deff
    tarja

Answer by tarja at 8:04 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• my pedi told me that it would hurt their kidneys
    twinsnseptember

Answer by twinsnseptember at 8:08 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Why do you want to give her water. I mean it may just be me, but at that age my girls were just starting to form a schedule, so were on demand feeding. So I guess is it going to harm your child probably not, but if you are breastfeeding I wouldn't, she will get what she needs from that. If you are formula feeding, then she is getting it when you make that. So I am confused as to why she needs water. I hope that help.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:11 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Of course you CAN give her water but she doesn't need it. Whether you breastfeed or use formula what is breastmilk or formula mostly made of? Water. I got so sick and tired of the "old-timers" telling me that babies needed water, too. In actuality two things can occur, neither of them good. A.) The baby can fill up on water causing them to not nurse/take a bottle like they should because their tummies fill full. Or B.) Too much water can cause an electrolyte imbalance that in serious cases cause death. If your baby is having a minimum of 6 wet diapers a day then she is getting plenty enough fluids. If not then push more breastmilk or formula. A three year old does not need the empty calories of water right now. Listen to the professional and tell your mother to take a backseat on this one.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 8:12 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• *Three month old.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 8:16 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• no!! LeanneC is right. Additional water (formula is mixed wtih water, breastmilk is comprised of water as well) can seriously harm a small baby, not to mention completely unnecessary.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 8:22 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• LeannC and epoh are both correct. Breastmilk and/or formula provides all the water that is needed for a young baby and water should not be introduced until the child starts eating solid foods. Additional water intake when solid foods are not present can seriously upset the electrolytic balance of the breastmilk and/or formula, ensuring that your little one is not getting the full nutritional benefit of their milk. Water is not needed and should be avoided until solid foods are well established. At that point, water is essential because it regulates blood sugar and aids in digestion of solid food. Hope this helps.

ktok2009

Answer by ktok2009 at 8:49 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• NO! Please call your pediatrician before you decide to give your baby water. My pediatrician says no water before 6 months. He said that too much water will even induce seizures.

Do not take a bunch of strange moms or your mom's advice on this. Call your pediatrician and he will tell you no water.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:02 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• There is absolutely no reason to give a small infant water. They don't need anything other than formula to thrive at this age. Your mom is a moron.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 9:22 PM on Oct. 9, 2009