Who is this child...?!

Over the past month, my son will cry at the drop of a hat. He'll be happy and giggling, and he'll cry. You put him down in his crib, he'll cry. He cries while eating, sometimes! He just cries. He refuses to be alone, even for two seconds while I may run out of eyesight to grab the phone. It makes me nuts.
He never used to be a baby that cried a lot. Even when he first started teething. You could leave him in his crib or playpen for hours at a time with toys, and he'd be content. In his jumper for an hour while you're out of his eyesight? No problem.

Who is this child now? What can I do? Nothing I do will please him.
I carry him around like he wants, and 5 minutes later or an hour later he starts crying. You set him down, he cries harder. You try and feed him, cries harder.
WTF.

He's 16 months old and I am at my wit's end.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:17 PM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Isn't that the age that separation anxiety really hits or is that when it starts to fade. I don't remember. I would say that it was teething and you are the big comfort toy. My 22 year old, gets like that when she is tired. Is he pulling on an ear or anything, could be sick and not know how to say it. I am sorry when my girls get whinny and tears start falling, I just keep doing what I am doing after I have tried to comfort them and meet any other issues. What else can you do, poo has to get done.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:24 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Maybe he's sick of you leaving him for hours at a time. Step up and be a parent.
    Anonymous

• unnecessary anon:20
    Anonymous

• I didn't say that I left him for HOURS. I said he was content for HOURS playing by himself while I ran around the house doing chores.
    Learn some reading comphrehension, Anon.20
    Anonymous

• comprehension.. I meant.

Besides, I am "stepping up" and being a parent, and a damn good one at that, thanks.
    Anonymous

• I think it's a stage. He's home w/ you all day and it's kicking in how important you are to him. My twins went through kinda the same thing , their 22 mths now , so I made sure to start having friend w/ kids their age come over to play more often and I joined a MOPS group at my church so they would be able to get out twice a month and play w/ other kids. I know it's hard but just remember, he's not going to be this little forever :)
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 10:29 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• "You could leave him in his crib or playpen for hours at a time with toys, and he'd be content."

reading comprehension? ok. I wouldn't know this about my kid unless I did it. You're psychic, I guess.
    Anonymous

• anon please shut up
    Anonymous