GOP and sexist views?

PHOENIX -- Dozens of local mothers descended on the office of Republican Senator Jon Kyl of Arizona Wednesday to denounce what they say are sexist attitudes held by Kyl and the Republican Party in general. The demonstration was organized by Phoenix area mothers in response to Kyl's recent quip during a Senate committee meeting that he doesn't "need maternity care."

The protest was organized by local mothers, but a few fathers and children also attended. They carried signs saying, "Maternity Care Is Not a Joke" and "Women Are Your Constituents Too."

The protest comes at the same time Democrats across the country are denouncing Republican leaders for holding what they see as outdated views of women.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 8:22 PM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• What they need is a basic plan with indiviual riders that fit everyones need.
    Anonymous

• Chris Christie, Republican gubernatorial candidate from New Jersey, has come under fire for a remark he made that critics say equates preschool to babysitting. In Virginia, gubernatorial candidate Bob McDonnell is drawing fire for his college thesis, written in 1989 when McDonnell was 34 years old, in which he seems to call working women detrimental to families.

On Tuesday, 30 Republican senators voted against an amendment put forth by Senator Al Franken (D-Minn.), that would have barred companies that discourage female employees from filing sexual harassment suits from securing government contracts. This coincided with a press release issued by the National Republican Congressional Committee saying Democratic House Speaker Nancy Pelosi should be "put in her place."

Read more at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dawn-teo/arizona-mothers-storm-kyl_b_313458.html

Sexist or outdated views of women?
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:23 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Jesus sweet...If I posted a fox news story you would be all over my link. Got a better........I don't know, maybe not a flaming liberal........source?

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 8:25 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• In Virginia, gubernatorial candidate Bob McDonnell is drawing fire for his college thesis, written in 1989 when McDonnell was 34 years old, in which he seems to call working women detrimental to families.

There are studies that say this is true. Many.

Chris Christie, Republican gubernatorial candidate from New Jersey, has come under fire for a remark he made that critics say equates preschool to babysitting.

I worked at preschool and this isn't far off....and alot of PARENTS feel that way.  The teacher would try and send home work to get extra help and NONE of the parents would. We even had a few say they didn't send them there to learn...they would do that in "real" school.

.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 8:28 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I am a democrat and a obama supporter and you can't take one persons actions and make it seem as if the entire group follows that. Yes, he said some sexist things but that doesn't make the GOP anti-women. This applies to other situations too, take ACORN for example yea two people gave advice on how to cheat the system, but the company's policy doesn't endorse anything of the sort.
    viridian

Answer by viridian at 8:30 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• On Tuesday, 30 Republican senators voted against an amendment put forth by Senator Al Franken (D-Minn.), that would have barred companies that discourage female employees from filing sexual harassment suits from securing government contracts.

This is the one you tried to post the other day that made NO sense and when everyone asked for a link about it it never showed.  This one doesnt either.  I would really like to understand what its about and will be looking it up.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 8:31 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Hmmmmmm....funny thing...no where in that link do they talk to Senator Jon Kyl and let him explain...... Now THATS fair.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 8:33 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• OH MY FREAKIN GOD. What he was SAYING is that it should not be part of a STANDRD plan. Something you can add if you NEEEEEDDDDDD it. Makes sense to me. We aren't having anymore children. My dh is fixed. Neither are my parents (mom is fixed) or my Aunt (hysterectomy). WHY should we/they have to PAY for the exorbitant maternity coverage??

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 8:36 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

The "source" has nothing to do with the protest
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:38 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• http://www.propeller.com/story/2009/10/09/arizona-mothers-storm-kyl39s-senate-office-denounce-gop-as-sexist/

Here's another source for ya, same story
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:41 PM on Oct. 9, 2009