Okay organized mommies, I have a dilemma with money and child care...

This is not for me, but I have been put (kinda) in charge of figuring out how to deal with this, let's see if you can add some input, ideas, budgets, etc... Single mom with two kids- One in kindergarten (needs no daycare), One who does need daycare, works FT during school hours, paid once per month. It's a school job, so she gets paid for all 12 months, so it's budgeted into check. Money from check will pay rent, part of daycare, part of utilities. It does not cover insurance. Mom is on food stamps, but no other assistance is available. No child support. No one to care for kids to take second job. How does she do it? I am all out of options.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:23 PM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Just for Fun

• She can check around and see if she can find a private babysitter that will charge less than a daycare center. Another option would be to do some babysitting herself, on weekends and evenings. She might be able to charge a pretty good amount for that, for parents who need to work 2nd shift or weekends and have trouble finding childcare. Is she able to get Medicaid for the kids? As an adult, although not ideal, she could go w/o health insurance for now. No child support - why? Is dad just not paying? If so, she needs to take his butt to court and force that he either pay or be punished by the system. She can also request that he be the one to provide health insurance for the kids. I don't know what kind of living situation she has, but does she have enough room that she could take on a roommate? Maybe a good friend or a relative that needs a place to stay? Those are all the ideas I can come up with right now.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:22 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Does the school have a on campus daycare? mines does it is ten dollars a week. If you quialfy for food stamps then you can get child care assitance well in louisiana you can and you pay like 20% of a day care fee.
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 8:27 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Cut out all unnecessary utilities (cable, netflix, internet, etc.), use coupons and bargain shopping tactics, walk or bike as often as possible, use public transportation (if available) instead of driving, get items for the house and the kids off of freecycle.org & craigslist, find a trustworthy and reliable child care provider outside of a daycare center (many SAHM's take neighborhood children into their homes and babysit for a fraction of the cost of daycare)......

ktok2009

Answer by ktok2009 at 8:28 PM on Oct. 9, 2009