Concerned about a call from my previous doctor...

I just got a call from my PREVIOUS doctor (I left her for a new doctor a little over a month ago) because my ultrasound results were sent to her office by mistake. I was told the other day at the ultrasound that my amniotic fluid was low & to talk to my doctor about it. So today at my doctor appointment I brought it up & they had the ultrasound results faxed over. She said they are pretty low, but that I should be fine & to just start trying to get things started on my own for the next week (walk, sex, she even suggested castor oil if I felt comfortable with that) & we'd see how I am on the 16th. Well my previous doctor called because she was very concerned with the ultrasound results & wanted to know what my doctor planned on doing about it because she thinks I should be at L&D within the next 24hrs being induced. This concerned me...maybe the low fluid is more dangerous than my current doctor wanted to tell me?? Any advice??

WannabeMommy87

Asked by WannabeMommy87 at 8:23 PM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Like I said earlier, if your levels were THAT low, you would not have been sent home. You would have been told there is immediate danger.
    So if they're low, but not dangerous: DRINK WATER NOW.
    And enjoy the end of pregnancy.

When you start the Home Remedies you are telling yourself that you're not okay, you can't enjoy this time as fully.
    Either you're okay to stay pregnant or you're not.
    The home remedies also can add physical risks, but I am more concerned with the emotional ones to tell you the truth. I think having a baby can be truly enjoyable. Why add unnecessary strain??

This is the most important day in your life.
    At least that's how I feel about it. ;-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:22 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• i think you should go to the hospital just to make sure better to know then wait and worry......
    Anonymous

• Well, it sounds like your previous doc is more concerned about you than your new one. The fact they told you to try castor oil..shows they aren't really that concerned, as that stuff can cause you to be violently sick to your stomach, and doesn't do anything for you anyway, unless your terrible diarrhea causes contractions. I would listen to the first doc. If you go to the hospital, and they are wrong, at least you were safe rather than sorry.
    ashleybgarcia

Answer by ashleybgarcia at 8:27 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I have to agree, go to the hospital and see what they think.  I'm not sure if they will induce you without your Dr.s consent so if that doesn't work, call your OLD OB and see what she would recommend you do.  And I agree with that also, it sounds like your old Dr. is more concerned than your new Dr.  Castor oil can give your baby (while STILL IN THE WOMB) diarrhea!  It is a very dangerous thing to do!

Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 8:34 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• So what exactly do I tell the hospital though? My previous doctor works out of a different hospital (partially why I left her because I wasn't thrilled with the hospital she worked out of) & my current doctor is on-call at the hospital this weekend...wouldn't she just give me the same advice she gave me earlier today?? I wouldn't want to show up at a hospital over a half hour away just to be told the same thing...ya know?
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 8:39 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• OH wow.  Yeah, that is pretty messed up.  You have to do what you feel like YOU should do.  Take charge of YOUR healthcare.  If this were happening to me, I would go to the hospital and tell my Dr. that I want to have the baby NOW because of............  And I would give her my reasons and be done.   If she wouldn't help me, well, at least you are IN the hospital and might be able to get a second opinion.  Explain what happened with your last Dr. and what your last Dr. said exactly.  If not you will just be worried about it nonstop. 

Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 8:44 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• HOW low??
    What number AFI?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 9:08 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• it sounds to me like everything is ok but that previous OB just intervenes in that situation before the new OB does. you know like many doctors will all of a sudden say c-section just because it's multiples when another doctor would encourage vaginal delivery...?

i'm sorry you are dealing with this because obviously you want the best for your baby and you aren't an expert so you can't know what is really the best course.

my inclination would be to go with the new OB's opinion but that's just because i'm on the side that OBs are trained to intervene any time they even suspect there might be an issue. because otherwise they could be sued.

but i would definitely want to talk more to both of those doctors, and probably a 3rd to get their opinions. i know time is short and it's the weekend. that might be where going in to labor and delivery might help... talk to your OB and another.

i hope you can get answers. :)
    Anonymous

• I've never had this issue, so I don't know if it is something you can look up online, but I would try looking it up and see if you can find any info on, say, webmd.com or medline.com, something like that. See if you can get anything from there that will clue you in as to how dangerous this may or may not be. If you can't do that, or if you find that it is dangerous, I'd go to the hospital, and demand that they do whatever needs to be done to protect the health of you and your baby, be it to induce you, c-section, admit and monitor you, whatever. If your ob won't do it, then tell them you want another dr on staff to help you. What do you not like about the hospital your old ob was at? Is it something you could overlook in an emergency? I'd consider it, as a second option, to be able to go there and have your old ob treat you if it becomes necessary.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:16 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Your new OB said see you on the 16th-- so it's not an emergency. If it were urgent you would not be at home on the computer, you would have been sent to L & D, right??

Drink a LOT of water... it will help get your levels up.

AVOID castor oil, that DEhydrates (even severely!).

If you are healthy enough to live life outside of the hospital (as your doctor has said you are) then you are okay to live and NOT induce yourself at all.
    **If there is a medical concern it will change that. Low fluid isn't necessarily dangerous-- and it can be fixed.

I was gushing fluid after my water broke, really leaking heavily. But I drank water and waited over a week since I never started labor. Because the fluid is completely replaced every 3 hours, it's not an emergency...

Drink-drink-drink!!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 9:22 PM on Oct. 9, 2009