My 3 mth old fell out of the bed:(

I was cooking so I layed my daughter down in the center of the bed while i take the food out of the oven about 2 minutes later i heard her screaming. she fell about a foot and a half to the floor. I feel horrible! Should I take her to the doctor? She seems like shes fine..laughing,playing, eating well ect. I want to take her to the doctor, but im scared they will get taken away from me. There are no lumps, brises, red marks..nothing!! Should i take her to the doctor? Do you think they will call DHS?

Please NO bashing!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:25 PM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• lol... I counted the other day. My LO has fallen 6 times. Plus, 2 close calls when I caught him before he fell. They say it's bad luck if a baby doesn't fall out of bed before they are a year old!
    Just don't leave her on the bed alone anymore... we do a pillow barricade (that he now crawls around) when we're in the room... put her on the floor or some other safe surface when you are cooking.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 8:28 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Unless she fell from 2 feet or more and/or on directly on her head, she's likely fine. Baby bones are very soft and don't completely harden until about age 2. If she's laughing and playing, her pupils are dilating and contracting back down when you shine lights on them, and her general demeanor is normal, there's no need to rush her to a doctor (this is exactly what my own pedi told me). If she acts unusually sluggish or sleepy, or if you notice bruising, swelling, or any major changes in her personality, it wouldn't hurt to have her checked out. Nobody is going to take her away from you because this happens all the time. IMO, she shounds fine but, as always, use your own best judgement. Best of luck to you mama!

ktok2009

Answer by ktok2009 at 8:32 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• dont feel bad....my car seat wasn't latched right...or came undone...and my daughter fell out while i was walking up the stairs to our apartment...i rushed her to the er with the same fears...but she fell farther and was bruised so I needed to...They looked at her eyes and then just had us stay and keep an eye on here...she was playing and just fine so we got to go home after a bit....they wont do a cat scan that young (my daughter was 3 1/2 months). And I expected a social worker to at least question me but it was never brought up the dr.s knew it was an accident and said babies fall more often then people think...now one fall is understandable but numerous hospital vistis would result in CPS getting involved...However only falling off the bed and if shes acting fine then I would say no hospital visit is needed...if she seems to be acting different at any point or you see swelling or bleeding then you would need to take her
    JocelynsMama1

Answer by JocelynsMama1 at 8:33 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• dont feel bad my 1 year old figured out how to undo his carseat belt ,the moment i noticed he was getting out a jackass cut me off and slammed on there breaks making me slam on mine and he went flying into the front and smoked his face into the center dash. I felt so damn bad . any tips on how to get him NOT to undo his belt???
    Kayge

Answer by Kayge at 8:42 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• * Kayge

That's horrible! I guess you should keep a better eye on him. Get a rearview mirror extender so you can see him in your peripheral vision. It could have been so much worse! :(
    Anonymous

• You are over reacting in my opinion. My kids have fallen off beds, out of cribs, been dropped, fallen down the stairs, off of chairs, off bikes, and run into God only knows how many things. They are both fine, kids fall and have accidents. If she is eating and drinking fine, just keep on eye on her. She and you were probably more scared then anything.

For undoing the seat, get buttons sewn on so he can't move the the chest clip up.  If he can unsnap it I am not sure.  Mine are both really hard so they can't even when they try.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:59 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I remember when this first happened to me. At one time, I was a CPS case worker. When my baby was bout 3.5 months old, I laid her on the couch while I made the bed in the very next room and she rolled off the couch, much to my surprise because she hadn't yet rolled completely over, and screamed. I was so hysterical (though she wasn't injured at all) that I didn't stop shaking for 30 minutes. My baby girl is now 3 years old and to this day I haven't told my husband that story because I'm just so ashamed that it happened on my watch. If it can happen to a former CPS case worker, it can happen to anyone.

If she is acting fine, hasn't had any vomiting, and her pupils look fine, then don't worry. It was just a little fall. Just forgive yourself for the incident and chalk it up to a lesson learned. I know I never left any of my babies alone on the couch or bed after my first baby's fall.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:13 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Kayge, just think, if you had your one year old rear facing like he's supposed to be, he wouldn't have been injured at all.
    Anonymous

• Kayge, if he's figured his way out of this one, it might be time for a different seat with a tougher buckle.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:42 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• 2nd Anonymous...not everyone knows about extended rear facing. Most people are still following the 1 year AND 20 pounds rule, so give her a break. That was rude and cruel.

Next time you want to help someone, help them by educating them on how experts are now recommending extended rear facing instead of making them feel guilty.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Oct. 10, 2009