Can sex induce labor?

I'm 40 weeks this wednesday. My dr. says that he's pretty sure she's about 8 1/2 -9 lbs by birth. So a big baby! However, I don't think i've lost my mucous plug yet. And my water hasn't broken. Can sex still bring on labor, even if my mucous plug isn't gone yet? If I have sex tonight how soon could I expect contractions? next day? 2 days? 4-5 days? I just don't want to push out TOO big of a baby. And he will check me, if I haven't delivered yet, on next dr. visit (thurs-->my 40 wk 1 day mark). Then he said, depending if I'm dilated and/or thinned, he may or may not start at home induction thing (Cervadil). Please help me.

BigBellyMom

Asked by BigBellyMom at 9:37 PM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yes it CAN induce labor. But there's no timetable.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:40 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Sex induced my labor. It broke my water. It wouldnt hurt to try:)
    Anonymous

• Go ahead and give it a shot if you are up to it of course. I have heard that it can help speed the process up, as long as you are not high-risk it cannot hurt. Good luck momma!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 9:43 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• It can induce labor, but it's because the sperm thins out the cervix. And calm down! You have 2 weeks left of pregnancy, there is no need to rush or freak out. There is no timetable as to when you go into labor, and at this point, there's really no way to "prove" sex brought on labor -- it could just be your and baby's time. Why on earth are you considering intervention before 42 weeks?
    Anonymous

• My dr. says if I carry to full term (which is this wed) I could end up with a 9-9 1/2 lb baby. Right now she's 8 or 8 1/2 (he guesses). And oh my goodness, the sooner I get her out, the better! I would rather push out a 8 lb baby than a 9 1/2 lb baby! Before 42 weeks? Because it's not up to me. Its up to my Dr. And I'd rather do all the natural induction I can, before any medicine (Cervadil) is used.
    BigBellyMom

Answer by BigBellyMom at 9:53 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• your water might not break.
    you might not lose your mucus plug.
    if you have sex, it *could* bring on labor but only if you were about to go into labor anyway.
    9 lbs is normal size baby, not big. :)
    doctor's estimates of baby size are often off by 2+ lbs.
    if it were me, i would refuse to be induced (cervadil or otherwise) unless there was a medical reason (and "big" baby and "late" aren't medical reasons)

i agree with PP that you just need to calm down, take it easy, you still could have 2 weeks left. you kind of seem to think everything follows some sort of text book pattern, but it varies A LOT!

good luck!
    Anonymous

• Semen has a hormone in it that can soften the cervix. And orgasm can cause contractions. But, as with all self-induction methods, it only works if you're about to go into labor anyway. I'd say, in order to attribute the start of labor to having sex, it should be within a day or two.

Go ahead and give it a shot. Can't hurt, might help. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:29 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Hey there, you sound like you need some support, help, and information. This is an exciting time, and a beautiful, special time. You can enjoy it without feeling pressures.

"Because it's not up to me. Its up to my Dr. "
    No, it IS up to you. EVERYthing is. :-)

Your due date is the MID-point of the 4-week due period (38-42 weeks). AND that's based on the average~ many moms go before or after, as it's normal for them. No worries!

Your doctor might be guesstimating and can very well be very off on that guess.
    Even if it were accurate, it doesn't matter, your body is designed to birth this baby, anyhow.

If your baby isn't here yet it's because your baby & your body are not ready, that's all. They will be in time. Truly!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:31 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• ive relized that no matter how ready i am, shes not ....sex cant hert but nothing has worked for me.not sex or orgasms or walking,non of that stuff.its up to the baby when they r ready..im schedualed for an induction on the 14th but im not sure if ill get it done..i just want to go on my own..i was induced with my 2nd and the labor was much more difficult
    bananbb

Answer by bananbb at 9:40 AM on Oct. 10, 2009