Angry words

So DH and I got into an argument were he proceeded to throw in the phrase "I should have never married you". Wow. I was shocked. Over something dumb. Why do men think that words don't hurt?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:42 PM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Relationships

• I think you meant "petty" Anon. It was just something said out of anger. Yes, it hurts, and he shouldn't have said it, but he probably didnt mean it. When things get heated, they want it over (usually) so they say things that make you walk away. Tell him how much what he said hurt you. Talk to him.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 9:52 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• punchingIt's a verbal attack to distract you, knock you off balance (emotionally) so he can "win" the argument bc they can't fight fair. I read a great book one time that said Don't Take Things Personally. I think we should add to not take things personally that get said during arguments. SO used to pull that crap and I'd just tell him that was hurtful and unnecessary ...which would throw him off bc I'd be calm when I said it. It scares him when I get calm during an argument! lol

Answer by admckenzie at 10:19 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Usually when a couple fights they want to say something hurtfull, either cuz hr/she are hurt and want to make you feel the same or he/she are just pist off and want to hurt the other person cuz he/she is mad and not thinking and just running there mouth.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 10:24 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• My best friend and her husband got into a similar fight a few weeks ago. It was 2 days before his birthday and he decided to throw a low blow and say "you know what, for my birthday just give me a divorce, you are a miserable bitch"...so the next day she packed her shit and got her daughters stuff and drove 4 1/2 hours back home and left him out in VA to finish out his term in the Navy. He called her when she was driving back home and told her he didn't mean it and to come back and she said "well you got what you asked for, I'm giving you a divorce, happy early birthday". This blew up in his face b/c he wanted to be the top dog in the fight and now hes alone. Shes been back home for 3 weeks now and is already interviewing for jobs so she has no plans on going back to him. This has escalated over time, they've been fighting alot lately and I guess those words were what she needed to get on with it and leave.
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 11:33 PM on Oct. 9, 2009