MY 3 yr old will not listen to me...

he only listens to his father... no matter what i ask or tell him to do, he just dosnt listen. its driving me crazy! i blame my stepfather who everytime i put my son in time out when he was little, would just tell him "oh, its okay, mommy is just being mean" UGH!! so, sence about then, he dosnt EVER listen to me! i try sitting him down and calmly asking him to look at me when i am speeking to him and ask him if he understands what im asking of him, he will say yes, then run off and ignore me once again... am i panicing or is this just a stage maybe? ugh, little boys are something else!

Keaton_Hazel

Asked by Keaton_Hazel at 10:21 PM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• pretty normal for a 3 year old. get down at his/her level,keep it simple and repeat,get childs attention first. (if a tv is on turn off first so not a distraction.goodluck
    hypersquirrel

Answer by hypersquirrel at 10:26 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• My 3 year old son is testing his boundaries with me doing the same thing right now. He says he understands when I get down at his level and tell him what he did. He even says sorry and he wont do it again. But 10 minutes later when I ask him to do something he just stares at me and does it anyway. My husband says I need to tell him like it is and punish him if he doesn't mind. most important, stay consistent. I take away toys and priveleges. It's very frustrating. Thats for sure!
    Mommy0425

Answer by Mommy0425 at 12:20 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• Consistency is the key and I agree with mommy0425 take things away if he does not mind. If you give him a time out and he will stay let him know that whatever it was he was playing with before that will be taking away until he minds. I have three children and while one tactic worked for one child it did not necessarily work for the other. My middle child has always been sent to his room, while he had his toys he hated being removed from the rest of the family. My youngest did not like to be spanked all I had to do was ask him if he wanted a spanking and he would mind. My oldest was a combination of the two. Find what works and stick to it. When I say a spanking I am talking one good hand on the butt and that is it for this age. If it doesn't work the first time it will not work at all.

Peace, <>
    JoyceTN

Answer by JoyceTN at 12:58 PM on Oct. 10, 2009