do you lie to your kids about santa

Just saw an thread saying you should not tell your kids there is a santa thats lying to them...what you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:27 PM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My kids are 19 & 21 and I STILL try to convince them he's real - of course that just me hoping that someone magical COULD pay for their Christmas and I wouldn't have too.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 10:28 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• i think that while yes, it is a lie, you can always change your name to santa haha...but no, i think its harmless. when kids find out they're not usually tramatized, and are more than happy to help out with the younger siblings in the santa ordeal. do you tell your 3 year old what sex is? ok then you're lying. its little things like that. unless you're 100% honest in EVERYTHING you say, then you cant jump on the dont tell about santa bandwagon. thats just imo
    i find nothing wrong with it really. do they tell about tooth fairy, easter bunny, tinkerbell, mickey, not being real? do they believe elmo is real? kids need something to spark imagination. so obviously i'm pro santa :-)
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 10:31 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• my daughter is 5 and knows santa...but all she knows about him is that he is someone to get a picture taken with..we do alot of donating at christmas time so i tell her santa delivers all the toys and stuff we buy to under-priviledged kids..but she knows that whatever she gets is from family
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 10:32 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I don't think its lying...and yes my kids believe in Santa. Its such a magical thing to them, and they get so excited when they talk about Santa. We are not religious, so Christmas to us is all about the fun stuff, Santa, gifts, baking cookies and making gifts for people!
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 10:33 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• My DD will only be 1 this christmas, but we will do the Santa thing. I loved "Santa" growing up and was not tramatized at all when i learned the truth. I love the childish innocence that comes with believing in Santa.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 10:33 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Ummm . .people who call that lying are strange. It's letting them believe some childhood magic and have a belief in something. My daughter is too young right now, but we were tell her there is a Santa. I believed in Santa and I do not in any way freel scarred AT ALL. I got kinda skeptical when I saw my Mom's handwriting on the tickets from Santa, but I was a very observant child . . lol. Either way, it didn't hurt me one bit. I wouldn't dream of stealing that part of Christmas away from my child.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:34 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I don't think there is anything wrong with telling your kids there is a Santa. I am in my 20's and I still thank my mom and dad every year for Santa coming to visit. I do think you can take it to far in that you can make such a big deal out of it that at 10-13 yrs old they still BELIEVE(there is a person out that that truly exists) in Santa versas one that believes(knowing it isn't a person but a concept) in Santa. Even my grandparents still believe in Santa. That is my way of thinking atleast.
    Katysmom

Answer by Katysmom at 10:38 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I think it's so ignorant when people say it's lying and I've seen that on here, too. I loved that feeling as a kid, going to bed on xmas eve and knowing that while I was sleeping santa was going to drop by, eat the cookies & milk I left out for him and leave me presents, then wake up before the sun was even out and see what he left for me under the tree. Why wouldn't I want to pass that joyful feeling on to my own kids?
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:39 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• My daughter doesn't know who he is. Not because we didn't want to "lie" to her. We just never really talked about him or brought him up. If you said santa to her she'd be like "Who" I actually like it that way too. If she asked who he was I guess I'd lie to her. My husband wouldn't though.
    Deidra08

Answer by Deidra08 at 10:43 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• *we WILL tell her----(correcting a grammar mistake above

tmn786---I loved your answer!  Joyful is the best way to describe it . . . I remember lying in the basement (it was finished of course), but all 5 of us kids had to sleep in the basement on Christmas Eve,which was fun enough on its own!  Anyway, I'd fall asleep listening for Santa and his reindeer!  I loved Christmas and I still do.  I can't wait until my daughter starts to understand Christmas!  What fun it will be!

BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:46 PM on Oct. 9, 2009