3 1/2 year old still not potty trained!

I need all the help and advice I can get... I have tried many things. Sticker rewards, candy rewards, putting her in panties which she just poops and wets and doesn't care. Made up the Good Fairy to give her very special tickets to say and get something after she has so many. I have put her back in diapers and told her babies wear diapers and big girls pee in potties and wears undies. Argh... ideas... Please do not say I am lazy cause I have tried I have even let it go for about a month and now I am starting back up again... hoping for better luck...

MommyPeck3

Asked by MommyPeck3 at 10:31 PM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• o momma i feel your pain. i just potty trained my 3 year old SS. whats worse is he was PLAYING in the poop. talk about a mad mom. but the stickers work for him. does she see you putting stickers up? umm how long did you try each tactic? maybe it just wasnt long enough to make an impact. ummm maybe like for boys you can put bubbles in the toilet so when she pees it bubbles up. i hope your break may have helped and she's ready for it. oooo does she have to clean up her mess when she has an accident? sometimes that grosses them out! if you need a stress relief message me. i can at least be a shoulder to yell on :-)
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 10:39 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• can you take a week off from everything? my 2yr old was doing ok then he regressed, so this week, started tuesday, i cracked down. i got at timer, and every time it went off made a big deal that it was potty time. even if he didn't want to sit on it, i made him. i did this every 20-30 minutes. if he had juice, i'd put him on after 15-20min. first couple days were frustrating, had alot of accidents. then yesterday we only had 2 accidents, in the evening. then today i decided to put extra time between potty time, about an hour and a half. we had NO accidents (yay!, knock on wood) if it helps, at first he didn't care if he peed on himself. that changed when i made him clean himself up. (i didn't take his underwear& pants off, he did) tomorrow is the ultimate test, we're going to the pumpkin patch, so we'll see how it goes! GL and hope i've helped. also, check out thepottytrainer.com, it's an E book, you dwnload when you order it.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:41 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I TOTALLY understand your pain!!!! Mine is almost 4 and we are still potty training. We have morning at preschool down, but once we are home.... yeah not happening. One thing that helped some was have someone else help. Meaning for me my mom and sister came over and brought a deal of big girl panties and some candy. They told her she got to wear the panties and she would get a treat everytime she went potty (really went not just sat). It helped! Another thing is relax. I know it is hard but the more stressed you are about her potty training the more stressed they will be about it and it will be that much harder. GL to you and I hope you are able to find something that works.
    Katysmom

Answer by Katysmom at 10:44 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Timer actually being set is a great idea. I mean sometimes when I get busy and she does time can get away. She knows she stinks, I should try the cleaning up her own mess thing too!
    MommyPeck3

Answer by MommyPeck3 at 10:49 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Yes! Try the timer and cleaning herself up!! That is what has finally made a difference for me. My 3 year old has to undress himself and put on clean clothes. He HATES doing that. Also, now that he is finally doing better I just ask him all day long, do you need to go potty. It helps him remember and he is starting to take himself when he needs to go. Occasionally I don't give him the choice if it has been a while!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 12:13 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• My son was a late potty trainer and I remember how frustrating it was. I have potty trained 4 kids and have found that the easiest and fastest way of potty training is to get rid of diapers, get rid of pull ups (except for night time) and make them clean themselves up. Don't get upset and do remember that you will have some extra laundry to do. It becomes a battle of the wills. If you remove that (by staying calm) it will go a lot easier for the both of you. Good luck!!!
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 3:03 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• i had to let my son run around bare bottomed for a week before we got him to poo in the potty.. that is my best advise for you, and buy a steam cleaner for your carpets :)
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 1:21 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• i am going thru EXACTLY the same thing,i have tried everything too,for about a yr now,since she was 2,my now 3yr old knows to go 2 the potty and refuses to do it!!!! i am so embarrassed and worry about her being able 2 start pre-k nx yr,i really am out of ideas 2,but just want 2 say,u r not alone!!!!
    mommylove74

Answer by mommylove74 at 7:30 PM on Oct. 10, 2009