Does your child do this?

Hold food in their mouths? It's SO annoying. She does it on purpose I think! She doesn't do it with everything she eats, just stuff she isn't crazy about. She'll literally sit there and just chew on it a little and keep it in her cheek and I have to keep harping at her, "CHEW your food, chew your food, chew your FOOD!!!" like a hundred times and it even ends in tears from her and frustration from me. Sometimes 10-15 min will go by til she will swallow that damn bite and then why even bother with that meal anymore? Who has time to sit there for 2 hours while she eats? It's not like the food I offer her is disgusting. Have you dealt with this? She's almost 3 but started doing it around 2.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:36 PM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• This is a suggestion but I don't know how well it would work. Try not making a big deal out of it while everyone eats. When it comes time that everyone else it done or she is wanting to get up have her open her mouth. If she has food in her mouth tell her she has to stay at the table until the food in her mouth has been chew and swallowed (I would state this because I know my 4 yr old would try to spit it out if you just said "until food was gone"). For there I would leave her to decide how long she is going to sit there. Once she can show you an empty mouth tell her how glad you are she finished her supper. This may be a total bust idea but there it is. GL
    Katysmom

Answer by Katysmom at 10:55 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• My two year old will do this sometimes. But its just her way of being "funny". Well she thinks she's funny! She does it mostly with milk, like Im not gonna give her anymore. My other two (Who are both 3) never did it, but my mom told me that I used to do it all the time when I was little, especially with meat. I think it has something to do with the age! lol
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 10:39 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• You think it's frustrating at age 3, imagine what it's like when it's your 8 year old.
    Anonymous

• How about not feeding her foods that she doesn't like.. might make it easier for the two of you
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• We have the same problem with our 3 1/2 year old. We got him involved with speech therapy in May, and found out that there is a chewing specialist who can view how he eats, and examine his jaws, tongue and palette to see if there might be a problem. Up to this point, our term for him has always been "texturally challenged".
    As a test DH and I bought 5 jars of baby food last month; peas, carrots, corn, sweet potatoes and green beans. We've always wondered if he refuses to eat those veggies due to taste or texture. We were very surprised when he not only ate every single bite, but actually asked for more! We've noticed a problem with meats too, despite how tender the cuts are. Chicken, beef and pork are all rejected, and when he tries to swallow it seems like he's choking.

You could ask your doc for info, or check google for speech services in your area. I'm sure they'd be happy to help, and be able to answer your questions :)
    MummaDee2006

Answer by MummaDee2006 at 12:27 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• no my kids doesnt, sounds like she is getting attention for it, maybe ignore it and see if that gets rid of it...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 1:19 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• my DD does it I just wait till she swallows it she has learned faster she swallows faster she gets milk
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:33 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• my daughter does this and it's usually with meats but i just think she's enjoying every last chew till she absolutely has to swallow it because i thought she was doing it because she didn't like what she was eating but i will ask her and she'll say she likes it so i didn't make a big deal about it i will just say ok swallow it so you can have more lol and she will...and sometimes i think she does it when she's getting full like if i swallow this i'm going to be so full so she'll keep it in her mouth and just chew it and i'll be like are you full and she'll say she is and i just say ok swallow that and you're done and she will.
    valerieiveliss

Answer by valerieiveliss at 10:37 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• My DD did this forever..mainly with meats and trust me I know how frustrating it can be. Of course we tried the whole, no drink until you swallow, can't get down until your done, and we even allowed her to spit some bites out thinking maybe it was just too much for her tiny little mouth! But all of the options (aside from allowing her to spit out some) all ended dinner the same way, her crying and me frustrated. I started not to worry about it.....if she wanted to suck on a piece of roast GO AHEAD, lol we would still give her a number of bites that she HAD to eat/swallow...and honestly after a couple of months of us not making it a big deal..it wasn't anymore...she eats everything now, even when there is something on her plate the we all know she hates, she will still eat and swallow two bites!!! Hope this helps :)
    lynda_dora

Answer by lynda_dora at 9:28 AM on Oct. 11, 2009