my daughter hasn't had a bowel movement in 3 days now what could be the problem she is a complete breast feed baby ???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Jun. 24, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• sometimes that happens when they are breast-fed babies. it all depends on what your eating,like you probably already know. you may be able to give her a suppository. ask your doctor. i did that and the baby was fine.
    cusina48

Answer by cusina48 at 9:37 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• I would call the Doctor but when my daughter would get constipated the doctor told me to try a little pear juice. Just a thought! But I would call the doctor just to make sure!!
    ZetaMommy

Answer by ZetaMommy at 9:44 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• It's according to her age. I know that it's completely normal for this to happen to breastfed babies between around 2 and 5 months of age.
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 9:58 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• yeah my son is going on 3 months and there are days where he won't have a bowel movement. does she cry a lot too because of it? leg excercises, such as slow walking, where you push her legs slowly up and down help with gas. i have to do that with my son, he is slightly colic. that may help too. also it may have something to do with what you eat.
    gilbertsmommy

Answer by gilbertsmommy at 10:47 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• I didn't breast feed due to complications, but when my lil ones didn't have a BM, I would add a lil Dark Karo syrup, I think it was like 1 tsp to her bottles, until she finally went. It was a gentle way of getting her to go.
    mamashearer

Answer by mamashearer at 10:52 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• There is no problem! :) Breastmilk doesn't have fillers or unnecessary ingredients so very little is not absorbed. That leads to infrequent BMs. My daughter would have a BM about 1x a week until she started solids.

If she is gassy or constipated you can try gently but firmly pushing the legs into the stomach and/or bouncing her gently on your knees to help relieve the gas. If she isn't gassy or constipated then you need to do nothing except try not to brag too much. :)
    jaycee1124

Answer by jaycee1124 at 11:12 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Hi. My daughter was 3 months when I went through the constipation problem. (She was formula fed though) My Pedi told me to mix 2 ounces of pear juice with 2 ounces of luke warm water and give it to her and it worked within a couple of hours. My daughter is now 9 months and if she seems to be constipated I still use the pear juice trick :)

Hope that you find this helpful
    maddysmommy907

Answer by maddysmommy907 at 11:54 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Eventhough baby is breastfed, it's not uncommon.

Dark Karo syrup, prune juice, pear juice, there are many many ways of releiving constipation. My son was so familiar with this situation, that the doctor suggested Milk of Magnesia..
    newmommyy322

Answer by newmommyy322 at 12:50 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• PLEASE don't give baby anything to make her poop. There is little to no waste with breastmilk, so a daily bowel movement isn't important past a few days. The consistency of the bowel movement is what you need to look at. If it is soft and yellow, you're fine. If it's like hard rabbit pellets, you might have constipation. Breastmilk is also a natural laxative.

Check out kellymom.com for more information.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 11:40 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• our pedi told us breastfed babies can go up to 2 weeks safely w/o a bm
    buggabearsmom

Answer by buggabearsmom at 12:25 AM on Jun. 25, 2008