For non-Christians

Why don't you believe in Christianity? Would you consider being a Christian if one would actually hold an intelligent conversation with you about their faith without being judgmental? And, would it make any difference if Christians weren't so hypocritical?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:44 PM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Why don't you believe in Christianity? I have seen to much proof otherwise.

Would you consider being a Christian if one would actually hold an intelligent conversation with you about their faith without being judgmental? I have had many very intellegent non judgemental conversations with Christians. I am very good friends with a youth pastor. We love to share and exchange religious ideas.

And, would it make any difference if Christians weren't so hypocritical? Nope. Not at all. Although it would give me a little more respect for the individual Christian. But as a group, I see no fault.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:06 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• It's not the people who are Christians that keep me from being one. It's the fact that I can't make myself believe something, based on an old book written by primitive men.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 10:54 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I never felt peace as a Christian. I know there are Christians who find solace in their faith the same way I find in mine as a Pagan. There is not an intelligent enough argument that could deter me from my walk with the Goddess.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 10:58 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• It's not the Christians or their Bible that keeps me form being one. I am an atheist because I simply do not believe in a God. Since I do not believe in a God I obviously disagree with the idea of a man being the Son of God. I can respect Jesus as a man, and a teacher, like one would respect Buddah, but that's about as far as it goes.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:59 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Why don't you believe in Christianity?
    For many reasons. One, there is a lot in the bible that just does not make sense to me. I can't type them all up here because it would take up several boxes. But also because ...it just doesn't feel like "home" to me.

Would you consider being a Christian if one would actually hold an intelligent conversation with you about their faith without being judgmental?
    No. I have had several intelligent conversations about the bible and Christianity with several different Christian friends of mine, without being judged. It has not swayed me at all. If anything, it has strengthened my beliefs.

would it make any difference if Christians weren't so hypocritical?
    Not all Christians are hypocritical. But the bible in and of itself does seem very hypocritical. However, even if that was fixed, it would not make much of a difference. The bible lacks balance, which most things in nature require.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:04 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I used to believe whole-heartedly. I was very active in my high school youth group, which had some very wonderful, intelligent leaders I felt worked hard to live by their words. I never saw some people's hypocrisy as a failure of the religion, but a failure of the individual.

What led me away was all the "truths" of the bible. I am very logically minded with a math/science background. My brother is a fundamentalist, and the more he argued for creationism, the more I found it unbelievable. I then began questioning other stories. When I stopped believing in parts, I found I couldn't hold any of the bible as ultimate truth.

I can't say with any certainty there is no god. I find what is being discovered in science makes a lot more sense to me and has a much more solid foundation than ancient stories written long before man knew how big the world really is.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:48 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Why don't you believe in Christianity? Because it's ridiculous to me (no offense).  It would be like me asking you to believe in vampires because the Anne Rice novels are so realistic & detailed.

Would you consider being a Christian if one would actually hold an intelligent conversation with you about their faith without being judgmental? No.  I simply don't believe it.  I put it in the same category as Greek Mythology.  Even if I somehow became convinced the Bible is a work of fact instead of fiction - there is still far too much I disagree with in the Bible.

And, would it make any difference if Christians weren't so hypocritical? No.  99% of my friends & family are Christian - and they're aren't hypocritical.  I respect their beliefs & they respect mine (or at least keep it to themselves if they don't)
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:02 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I don't and can't believe in god. 

Would you consider believing in unicorns if someone gave you an intelligent debate?

The hypocrisy has nothing to do with my beliefs, but it does make me very glad that I'm not a Christian.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 12:03 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• it is not the fact that people are christians, it is the simple fact that i do not need to put myself in ANY type of religious category to know where my faith lies...
    waterlily89

Answer by waterlily89 at 1:00 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• The reason most of you don't believe has nothing to do with Christians. You all just don't want an inconvenient belief. Faith in God isn't about you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:04 AM on Oct. 10, 2009