If your parents don't believe in God...

I am just wondering how this works i see so many parents with small children who don't believe in God when they grow up chances are they are not going to believe b/c they were not taught to believe so how is that fair...they are not going to get a chance to go to heaven??? and is there anyone who was not brought up to believe in God but now does???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:49 PM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I can see your concern...but reality is there are many many more ways to learn about God than just parents..Not that my parents didnt belive in God, they just didnt tell me about religion..I first learned when my older sister, who was very active in church took me. Just pray for them and God will take care of them.
    Ilovemychi

Answer by Ilovemychi at 10:55 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• WOW! Really!?! Just because I am an atheist doesn't mean I will be putting blinders on my children and will not be teaching them about god and religion. On the contrary, my children will explore all the world religions, and will then be free to decide on their own which, if any, they wish to follow.

Besides, don't you think if there were a god, belief wouldn't have to be taught (indoctrinated).
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 10:59 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• My mom never pushed religion on us. And i still knew about the God of Abraham. And even though my mom was never religious, i happen to be very spiritual ...just not Christian. :)
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:59 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• i was raised in the presbyterian church. my famiy was never really religious, but we prayed at holidays around the table holding hands, it was more out of tradition and faith brought us together. my father these days is an atheist. he likes the idea of focusing on each day rather than worry about what'll happen when and after he dies. these days I am a pantheist, I believe in nature as a force. but even if my father raised me as an atheist I'd still be the loving person I am. as for "heaven" I dont believe in the unicorn angels with harps kinda heaven, but I do believe in family and friend reunion after death (which isnt a pantheist belief, but it puts me at ease in times of tragedy)
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:07 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I have seen atheist parents on here say they will not teach their children our "mythology" so it does happen that atheist are not exposed and taught about God.

The Catholic church believes that those who do not believe because they were never taught or given the opportunity are able to get into heaven.
    Anonymous

• I wasn't raised with religion or the belief in God, and b/c of that, I now believe I struggled very much. I had a tough childhood, and I feel that if I had that foundation of the belief in God, maybe I would've been a more hopeful child. It wasn't until college that I was introduced to God. I began dating a guy who's parents encouraged him go to church every Sunday, so, I had the desire to go. From then forward, my life was changed. I was so moved by the church, that a change came over me. I know this might sound corny, but I felt like something washed over me and I finally had hope in my life. The BF ended up being a jerk, but I will never regret him b/c he changed my life. So, to answer your question, God will find his way into the lives of those who allow him in. My husband is not spiritual, but I have made the committment to raised our daughter in the church. She can decide when she is ready if she will (cont)
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 11:12 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I dont believe in the unicorn angels with harps kinda heaven

I am Catholic and I don't believe in unicorns--I am not sure i believe in the angels and harps kinda heaven either, but I can see them there before unicorns.
    Anonymous

• continue to worship. I just hope to give her what I never had. Hope.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 11:13 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• ****raise...oops.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 11:16 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Well think of it this way, even if their parent's do not teach them about the Christian God, eventually they will learn. Besides, beliefs should go much deeper than simply what one was "taught" to believe. It needs to be felt.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:24 PM on Oct. 9, 2009