• In the Spotlight:

Was my two year old daughter mis-diagnosed with swine flu?

My daughter (2 yrs old) was running a fever for a few days, Motrin would bring it down but it would come back a few hours later. She was lethargic, cranky, and had diarreah. She never coughed, she never threw up, yet the doctor looked her over and decided she had swine flu. I think she is wrong, I think my daughter had a little bug but not swine flu. I thought swine flu was serious business, people are even being hospitalized because of it. My daughter was never THAT sick, and by the way she hasn't run a fever since the day we saw the doctor and she is her normal happy self now three days later. Do you think the doctor was wrong, or is it possible for someone to have it and not have really bad symptoms? She was so flip about it, like it's really no big deal, and I don't appreciate that because it really scared me (I'm okay now because my girl is obviously okay). What do you think?

Mama2JoshKatie

Asked by Mama2JoshKatie at 10:49 PM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sine flu is nothing to worry about. Most people have very minor symptoms & recovery quickly from it just like the normal flu. Everyone is blowing it up way too much then it needs to be.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 10:56 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• From everything I've seen, the swine flu is no worse than the "regular" flu, it's just being hyped a lot more. Different people experience the flu differently; some only get mild symptoms that go away in a few days, and some people are deathly ill for a week or more. So it could have been the swine flu, no way to tell for sure unless lab tests were done.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:58 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• those are the symptoms of swine flu the high fevers for a few days diahrea etc. its not a tragic illness when caught and treated a lot of ppl are scared due to media hype.
    Anonymous

• From what I have read and understand, it can affect different people differently, just like the regular flu. Some get it really bad and some don't. People get really sick and die from the regular flu every year as well. So, your daughter could have had.
    Anonymous

• my neice was diognosed with swine flu today they gave her a prescription and her temp was 103
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 11:38 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• You won't know if they were right or not unless they sent in a swab to test for it.... and most places are sending swabs in unless they are sick enough to be in the hospital.
    How sick a person gets just depends... the ones how are in the hospital are very sick. I'm a pediatrics nurse and what I am seeing is that the kids are just as sick as they are with the regular influenza BUT it's a different age group we are seeing. Usually we see children under 2 years old that come in.... the kids we are seeing are older... between 3-8 years old. Some of the kids I've had also had asthma and I'd say those kids are hit the hardest... they are scary sick.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:47 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• No, she was not misdiagnosed. Most of the flu going around right now is the swine flu and you described the symptoms. Keep watch on her that she doesn't get a secondary infection in her lungs. :) Sorry she was sick.
    Anonymous