Has anyone use a neti pot? I did and the water did not run through.

I used the neti pot as directed and only a few drips came out of the other nostril. Could it be that my sinuses are so inflamed that the water can not flow through? I don't know and nothing on the box says what to do if it doesn't flow.

I am having major sinus pressure and am breastfeeding my baby so I do not want any medication right now, but if it does get worse I will have to go to my doctor.
Thanks for any advice!

crystal1480

Asked by crystal1480 at 11:03 PM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Health

• Maybe you were hesitant and didn't hold your head enough to the side or get it at the right angle ?

I felt like that the first time I used the Afrin prepackaged one. It's the same concept as the netti pot. Then I tried again and it went through. I only did it once and for the next week nasty crap was sliding down my throat, like brown/pink. Now though my sinuses feel great that all the bad stuff was cleared out.
    Anonymous

• I tilled my heat right and even tried several positions. At the most I only got a few drips out of the other nostril. The package said you can use it every 2 hours. I've used it 4 times in 2 days and still no flow. ???
    crystal1480

Answer by crystal1480 at 11:57 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• you have to make sure your sinuses aren't congested. use some nasal spray to open them up. then when you're going to use the neti pot, lean forward slightly. that should help it to flow out. it works for me. i use it daily cuz i have wicked sinuses. i'm lucky if i can make it through the winter without a sinus infection or two. the neti pot has been my saving grace.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• Peppermint is a great natural decongestant; drink lots of peppermint tea.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:25 AM on Oct. 10, 2009