Pagans

can i have your input please?

My MIL just sent me an email asking about my religious preferences. My IL's are the only ones who i have ever hid my faith from, and i have recently stopped trying so hard to hide it. She is finally confronting me. I have never had to deal with this before, as i have always been open to everyone.
I need some help with what i should say to her. If you are in the groups End Religious Intolerance and Ignorance and/or Pagan and Proud i have posted more detailed info there.

I've already written a response. ...but i haven't sent it.

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 11:09 PM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• watch your wording and make sure you dont make it seem like you worship satan, practice black magic and cast spells LOL. ya know? paganism is very old and is very nature based. when people question my pentagram (i live in a bible-belt town) I describe it in simple terms: each point represents the elements and the circle symbolizes protection, cycle of life. they usually seem content with that and move on lol.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:16 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• If I was you I would first figure out why I felt like I had to hide my religion in the first place. You should embrace your beliefs and be proud of who you are and what you believe. If you can't do that you don't have true faith. JMO.
    Anonymous

• Oh anon, you have no earthly what it is like. If you are not of a mainstream faith in the good ole USA sometimes it can be dangerous. Trust me we would all LOVE to live out in the open but the good ole religious right can be pretty scary.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 11:19 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Honesty is always the best policy. They loved you before they knew and they will love you after. It just may take a lil while to get over the shock. But they will come around in the end. I do have to say though that email is most likely not the best venue for such a discussion. IF you can't do a sit down I would opt for a phone call... Email is just very impersonal

Anon - It's not about not being proud of your faith it's about understanding their beliefs about your faith and havind enough respect not to put it in their face. It's like someone that doesn't come out to his very religious parents that he's gay. It doesn't make him less gay, it just simply is a sign of respect and understanding.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:23 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Ummm pnwmom I don't have a mainstream religion and some of my friends laugh because I'm a buddhist. I don't really give a shit nor do I feel like I have to explain myself to anybody. I know I'm on the right path for myself and am extremely open with my beliefs and would never hide them. I wasn't being rude by telling her that, just trying to enlighten her.
    Anonymous

• Wow. Why is everyone jumping down my throat right now. She asked for an opinion so I gave her one. I even wrote JMO. This is exactly why I don't come to this site very often anymore. Nobody can have a differing opinion. I thought this was Q&A and I thought people asked questions to get a variety of answers. So stupid! If you don't like my answer report it.
    Anonymous

• Even though you may do spell work, I would avoid that for now. I agree with Owl Feather. Try explaining that you see the divine in a more natural state. Thats the way I explained it to my family. That I see the more deeply the connection the Divine has with us through nature. The wind is the breath they take, the water their tears of joy or sadness, the fire their spirit, the Earth is a part of their embodiment. Don't waver, be confident. Make sure they understand that this is how YOU find peace and the place that your spirit calls home.  Also stress to them how you are teaching your young how important it is to respect all religions. And that you appreciate their understanding that your path is your own.  Remember stand strong but do not go on the defense first.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 11:28 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Anon
    it was not your opinion that has people "jumping down your throat". It's that you don't know the entire situation. And I think it is safe to say that Buddhism is more accepted by most people then Paganism.

And for you, someone who does not know me, nor come to this site often, to say that i am not true to my faith is a bit offensive really. Out of all the people i know, there are only 2 people i have not been entirely open to. Never mind that part of my faith requires secrecy when need be.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:31 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Anon forgive me. I understand you were just offering help. We all really do wish we could live out in the open. But as I am sure you understand it is difficult. I hope some day we can all live like you do. I am glad that you have over come so much anon.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 11:31 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• outstandinglove I've been a member on this site for well over two years. I used to come here a lot but got tired of all the bashing and the fact that differing opinions cause drama. My answer should not have offended you, if it did I'm sorry. I need to go now too much negative energy for my blood. Peace out.
    Anonymous