I put my 3yo in his own bed, but in the middle of the night he is in my bed. Help what can I do

He has his own room, his own bed, and a nice relaxing routine before bedtime.

DazedonSunday

Asked by DazedonSunday at 11:12 PM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• The only thing I know to say is put him back in his bed when he gets in yours; If you don't he may think it's okay and continue to get in your bed during the night.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 11:16 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• My husband and I had to buy plastic door knob covers because otherwise our son would come out to the living room a million times a night, and never go to bed properly. You can buy them in a 3 pack for about 5 bucks, and they just snap over the door knob. There are little rubber grips on them, and you have to squeeze the cover to turn the knob.

After a while, we found he would stay in bed all night without trying to get out of his room. Eventually we were able to open his door a crack when we went to bed to allow him out of him room in the morning, as he usually wakes up a short while before we do. Hopefully that will help, I know it can be frustrating trying to keep little ones in their own room to sleep :)
    MummaDee2006

Answer by MummaDee2006 at 12:05 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• my son doesn't have that problem but I remember when my nephew was that age my sister gave him passes to get out of bed. he had one pass a night. after that he got in trouble for getting up.
    chases_mommy

Answer by chases_mommy at 12:19 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I used to have this problem. We put a set of Christmas star lights on his wall for a nightlight and that seemed to help tremendously.
    andsoicrawl

Answer by andsoicrawl at 2:15 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• we had this problem and descovered a great rememdie.. walmart carries LARGE baby gates.. taller then a 3 yr old put it in his door way with the lever facing out so he cant climb over it.. it works for us.. we are more concerned with her getting into stuff in kitchen or bathroom when we are alseep.
    texas_robin82

Answer by texas_robin82 at 2:37 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• Thank you all for the different advice I will try some of these suggestions
    DazedonSunday

Answer by DazedonSunday at 3:41 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• you've gotta keep putting him back. my son did that too, we put a bell on the door so we'd hear him and head him off. it only took a week, up to 5 times a night. i was so exhausted, but it was better for everyone to keep him in his own bed.
    sarahq635

Answer by sarahq635 at 1:18 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• my three old did the same thing we figured out she was scared of the dark we put a night light in her room and if she came to our room i made her go back to bad unless she was real scarred then i would let her stay until she fell back to sleep thank god all our rooms are on one floor
    terri10556

Answer by terri10556 at 3:44 PM on Oct. 11, 2009