Is the tea tree treatment for lice a shampoo or an actual straight oil we recently had an outbreak in our home and do not want this to happen again!!!!

momof2lilboyz77

Asked by momof2lilboyz77 at 11:32 PM on Oct. 9, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i tried the tea tree oil condition for 3 days straight i left it on for like 20 minutes at a time and it DIDNT WORK!!!! instead by time i gave up on ot i was infested to the point where i was getting adult size bugs off from mine and dd head when i used a rid comb i had to eventually spend 85 dollars in nix lice cream and treat my hair once a week for a month and i bought the red rid metal combs and i comb r hair everyday twice a day intill i quit getting live bugs i will NEVER use home remedies for lice again rid is inexspensive and it can be used on preg women and babies without side effects
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 11:39 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• You buy tea tree oil and put some in your regular shampoo, so you're using your regular shampoo with it in every time, to help prevent lice.
    Anonymous

• A lady on here said that if you use mouth was just soak your hair in it and put a bag over your hair and keep it in for 20 minutes wash it out and all the lice died.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 12:24 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• Tea Tree Oil is VERY strong. You only use a drop or two to get the job done! It is great for lots of things, but you need to be careful.
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 3:07 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• coal tar menthol shampoo try this
    4artistsmom

Answer by 4artistsmom at 4:47 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• Tea tree oil prevents lice, I have not had good luck with it for getting rid of lice.
    We used Prell shampoo, a detergent shampoo. THEN, rinsed with straight white vinegar, THEN combed out knits and lice. THEN we smothered the head all the way too the roots in Facial Cleanser (Equate gentle facial cleaner) Saturate each strand. Then blow it dry...leave the soap on!! It seals the louse and eggs in a cocoon of cleanser. Leave it on 8 hours or overnight. Rinse clean. Use vinegar rinse. Repeat in 6 days. Lice takes 7 days to reproduce. If you do this three times and clean/delouse your home you should be able to get rid of them. I did with only two applications. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• from what I have heard Tea Tree Oil only prevents lice so you ahve to get rid of it first.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:50 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Use mineral, baby, or olive oil. Saturate your hair and put on a shower cap. Let it sit for at least 30 minutes. Wash out with Dawn dish soap. The oil smothers the bugs. I also use vinegar. saturate hair & wrap in a vinegar soaked towel for at least 30 minutes. Wash out. The vinegar eats the glue on the eggs. When the hair is dry just comb out the eggs. Make sure to wash everything you can. Vacuum all furniture. Get some spray and spray down all furniture, carpeting, and matresses. Bag any dolls or toys that you cannot wash for at least 1 month.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:29 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Most shampoos don't contain enough essential oils to actually work on lice. Use pure essential oil. Only a few drops are needed. Having said that, however, I don't think tea tree is the best treatment for head lice. I use an essential oil combination of 4 drops of eucalyptus, 2 drops of lavender, and 2 drops of geranium to kill the lice. You can add a drop or two of rosemary, clove +/or peppermint as well, if you like. Rub it all around the scalp and then place a plastic bag over the hair and leave it for at least 1/2 an hour. Shampoo VERY well. When my daughter got head lice, this killed all the licei n one treatment. After that, I used a hair rinse of 2 drops of eucalyptus, 2 drops of lavender, and 2 drops of geranium mixed with 1/2 cup of vinegar and 1 cup of water. I used it for several days to kill off any eggs that might hatch and to prevent reinfestation. It worked better than any conventional treatment I've ever tried!
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 12:43 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• cheap mouth wash like scope or any other mouth wash will do.. Put in on your childs hair and leave it for a few moments. Trust me it works.. I did not want to shave my sons hair and this worked
    Anonymous