when is it ok to get divorced,according to the bible?????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:38 PM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• If i remember correctly, adultery and one being a believer and one being a non-believer.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 11:41 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Adultery, and the thing about the believer/non-believer is if you are married to a non-believer and THEY choose to leave/want a divorce, you can let them go and have a clear conscience about it, but if they are a non-believer but still want to remain married then you remain married. (In other words, the believer should NOT be divorcing the non-believer for being a non-believer! If the non-believer ends it, then you are not obligated to try to make them stay.) I would also add that the husband is supposed to love his wife as Jesus loves the church (willing to die for her), so, obviously an abusive husband is WAY out of bounds and an abuser who is unwilling to change may mean a divorce is necessary.
    ratviolin

Answer by ratviolin at 11:53 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Thank you ratviolin. It's been a while since I've read about divorce in the Bible. Thank you for clearing up what I said. :)
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 11:59 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• In this case it is MOST vital that you go to the bible and read it for yourself. Go to the www.biblegateway.com and type in divorce.

there is a great deal of controversy on what is and is not grounds for divorce...for instance abandonment is also written in...

II have SOOOOOOOOOO much to say on this matter but will ask you to please look it up, pray and ask God via the Holy Spirit to reveal his truth to you.

SFerber

Answer by SFerber at 12:37 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• ratviolin
    In other words, the believer should NOT be divorcing the non-believer for being a non-believer!
    ~~~

Well, my ex is screwed then. Almost makes me want to believe just to see that. :O)
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 3:32 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• to what the bible specifically talks about is adultery and if you become saved after marrying a non believer if they dont want to stay then you are free from them. BUT I feel that if you are being abused or the kids or hubby goes out and spends all themoney on booz/gambles and doesn't take care of the family at home like to where you cant live then I say I think God wouldn't blame you if you left. It;s not your fault, just sad things like this happen and so many strict christians condemn those that leave these sort of situations that I feel are fine to leave from. God wants us to be happy, now don't get me wrong God HATES divorce. With a passion of the Christ :P sorry bad joke , but if it's nota good situation for you to where ther is no way out then get out. But above anything us people tell you, ask God! God bless you :)
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 6:06 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• where are the verses now?
    Anonymous