What do you think of pageants?

Just wanting to hear other's opinions. My husband and I were talking about it and we have differing ideas. What's yours?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:40 PM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I think if a child enjoys it then she should at least try the easy ones first and work her way up.
    The disadvantages are the expenses (TONS of money!!!!), time, having her tutored on walking, smiling, and speaking, and then her emotional levels if she doesn't win in any of the top places.
    I really cannot see putting so much makeup on a child, dying their hair, and buying an outfit for hundreds of dollars. Put that money towards their college fund because if they win a scholarship prize from winning it will just balance out the costs you spent on her doing it.
    Just be sure the girl wants it and knows what to expect beforehand.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 6:04 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• my neice wants to do it but i dont know where to go or how to start her in it
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 11:42 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I like the idea of pageants. I think they can help boost confidence and are a fun experience. I don't like all the fake nails and spray tans and that stuff, but I think the natural pageants are great. I would put my daughter in them if we had the money.
    Anonymous

• i did them throughout high school, and it was the best thing for me! it gave me good communication skills, confidence, i learned how to walk more gracefully and all of it really helped me in college when i had to do speeches. taught me to like myself more, and idk b/c all pageants are different but we had to do platforms, which is where you pick a topic to adress (mine was rape and molestation) and you bring peoples attention and if you win you get to do all sorts of cool things that YOU are passionate about! plus the scholorships and stuff!
    danette624

Answer by danette624 at 11:57 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I think they are great. There are some groups on this site, firstimemomm603, if you wanted ideas of where to start or what pageants are out there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• A really good pageant for us was National American Miss. They don't allow all the make up & fake nails, etc on the younger girls. We had to stop only because we didn't have the money to continue & wasn't able to raise it in time. I think as long as the child wants to do them & not so much the parent, they're ok. But if mom were to be like the moms on that show-toddlers & tiaras, that's too much. & I saw some moms like that. They weren't pleasant, they're daughters were miserable & I felt SO sorry 4 them! Anyway...I can see both sides of the fence-but if u decide to do it, best of lucik 2 ya! :)
    bridgeh2o

Answer by bridgeh2o at 12:13 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• Goodness! You could be talking about adult women pageants, too!
    I think if a woman wants to do it then she should give it a try.
    There are the same risks for her, too, as expenses, time, and such.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 6:05 AM on Oct. 10, 2009