Any one have a degree in psychology?

Ive always wanted to go back to school. I loved psychology took a couple diffrent classes on it in high school. is a ba in psycology a waste? i want to go for my masters so i can work in a clinical setting. i really want to do this. but i want to hear it from someone who has done it. and not a counsler that might sway my thoughts. thanks!

asistartomosh

Asked by asistartomosh at 11:54 PM on Oct. 9, 2009 in Money & Work

• I actually got a BS in psychology and then did not meet the requirments for the masters programs I was interested in doing. I could have qualified for the masters/phd programs but not just a masters in counciling. I then started my MBA in Human Resources, but had to stop that because of having my son. It was an interesting degree, but make sure you know the reqs of the type of program you want to go into. If I had looked closer I would have made some different choices as I had spent two years in engineering and ended up not being able to do it before I switched. Other than as a general social sciences degree, it has been pretty worthless.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 11:59 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• well you need to learn to spell first!
    Anonymous

• I was a psych major for three years and then in my senior year I switched schools and majored in Human Services with a specialization in psych. My Masters is in Counseling and I am in a Doctorate in psychology program now. If you know exactly what you want to do with your degree it helps. With a Bachelors in psych you can work as a Case Manager, Probation Officer, Care Coordinator, etc. If you want to be a clinician you really have to get at least a Masters.  Most people who I have known to get a degree in psych never search the job market to see what they can actually do with it in their area.  They also do not understand that when it comes to psychology a Bachelors degree will only allow you to do entry level grunt work. They go in thinking that a BA or BS will get them a great paying job when it won't.   

FL2AK

Answer by FL2AK at 1:02 AM on Oct. 10, 2009