Germs passed to baby

This might sound stupid, but If I were to have the swine flu or any other flu,would my baby be less, more or just the same as likely to catch it from me? A friend had told me that the germs a mother and baby pass to eachother are less dangerous, I think she might be confused with breastfeeding (shes certainly not a science major teehee)...which I am not doing. He is formula fed. Anyway I dont know if there is even a slight truth to what she is saying. Any thoughts?

CurvyMommato1

Asked by CurvyMommato1 at 12:14 AM on Oct. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you're breastfeeding, baby will get the anti-bodies from you and be less effected, yes. If you're not, baby will probably be exposed at the same time, or shortly after you, but without the benefit of anti-bodies.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:20 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• if you get the swine flu, your babys going to get it.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:25 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• The flu is spread most by sneezing and coughing. (The virus lives longest in the water particles in the air.) They recomend a 6 to 8 foot distance from someone with the flu to avoid it. Washing hands helps but it's fool proof in terms of flu prevention.

I would say that your baby has the same chance of catching it as anyone else. If you get the flu, see if someone else can care for your baby while you recover just to be on the safe side. If not, hopefully the dear one doesn't get it or only get a milld case to build up his immune system. You could also get the flu shot for peace of mind but the seasonal flu shots are the WHO's (or who ever's) best guess at which strain will be going around.

I've been told repeatedly that baby's catch everything b/c they haven't build their own immunities to that strain of cold of flu. I have no idea if there is any truth behind that statement but it makes sense to me.
    rpggurleli

Answer by rpggurleli at 7:20 AM on Oct. 10, 2009