What do you do for dry skin?

I've got massively dry skin and it's just gotten worse over the years. It's extremely painful and nothing seems to help it. I've tried a ton of different lotions an home remedies with no real relief.
Any suggestions?

jennifercalling

Asked by jennifercalling at 12:44 AM on Oct. 10, 2009 in Health

• try aveno products or my son has exsma and i used baking soda and water and made a paste and rub it on ur skin and let it set for like 15 min and then wash it off
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 12:45 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• You might want to see a dermatologist, just to rule out some types of skin disorders, like eczema.
    I personally use Aveeno or Jergen's.
    Aquaphor when my skin gets REALLY bad - it's a super thick lotion that just stays on there for hours upon hours. I love it - I especially use it on my newly done tattoos. :]
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 12:45 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• If it is really that bad, see a dermatologist and get a scripted cream. I always put massive amounts of cream (any type, i even use dollar store cream as long as it is not greasy. i cannot stand that greasy crap on my skin.) on my entire body every single time I get out of the shower. When you get out of the shower, your pores are the most open and therefore most able to absorb the moisture. That is the critical time to moisturize!!! And if it is really bad as you say yours is than I would suggest you also apply lotion another once or twice each day and be sure to not put your clothes on directly after. You need to give your skin time in the open air for the cream to really soak in. Depending on how thick you put the cream on, it should not take but a minute or two to dry(soak in). Also, I heard Olive oil works wonders on dry skin but never tried it.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 12:52 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• Are you drinking enough water? you should be drinking at least 8 8oz glasses a day

Answer by rkoloms at 10:23 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I drink about a liter of water every three hours (I don't know how much that equals out to but I know it's a lot). And I put lotion on after the shower and I've tried baby oil (but not Olive Oil). A lot of the time it actually burns to put anything on my skin...

I guess it is time to just give in and go to the dermatologist.
    jennifercalling

Answer by jennifercalling at 1:30 PM on Oct. 10, 2009