My 3 yr old thinks there is a Monster in his room any advice??????

My son thinks there is a Monster that lives in his room. Apperantly he scratches him,growls at him and knocks on the door. He told me he is big blue and has red eyes. Pretty scary right? well how do i convince him that there is nothing that will hurt him? he is terified to go to bed. ive tried everything

ONEHIPMAMMA

Asked by ONEHIPMAMMA at 1:03 AM on Oct. 10, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• MONSTER BE GONE SPRAY!! It works everytime, I used a spray water bottle one of the travel size or whatever you have and i put water in it, you could even add something with a scent that is not harmfull like lemon juice and then sray the room before bed time. it worked for both my boys they slept with it by their bed.

You could also use a body shimmer lotion Monsters hate shiney things you know lol and if you put some of this "magic" lotion on it will scare them away.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:07 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I should have mentioned we even put a label on the bottle that said monster be gone, looking back it was actually alot of fun, but i came up with all this when my DH worked nights and i had a newborn and a 3 y/o, and i needed to be sleeping not chasing monsters all night it was not funa t the time, the boys are 11 and 8 now and they remember it and laugh about it and sometimes ask me to make some just to be stinkers lol.

We also used the magic lotion during growth spurts and it worked, the power of imagination is amazing with kids lol.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:11 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• Monster spray works, or you can tell him that you are assigning a magickal creature to protect him and ask him what he would like, tell him it can be anything a mermaid another friendly monster whatever. Let him tell you what he wants and then tell him a day or so later that the (fill in the blank) he wanted was assigned to him and his name is (your choice). Then tell him to call on that creature when he is afraid (by name of course).
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 3:19 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I do the spay, special songs, special sayings....and no luck. For some it does work. It worked for many of the kids I worked with but just not with my son. We tell him there are no such thing as monsters, we tell him there are ony pretend friendly monsters, we do the spray...we do a ton. And no luck. Still searching. The best thing we do is stick to our routine, make sure he has had plenty of time during the day to play and before he goes to bed we have snuggle time. Really and truly the more tired he is before my child goes to bed the less likely the idea of a monster is going to be there. In our case "monster" is the same as saying, "I just want you in here with me and I know I can say that word and you will come."
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:06 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• We started having this problem after my son watched the movie Monsters Inc, so it was pretty easy to convince him that it was just a movie, pretend, etc. He does insist that we leave a light on (but he doesn't like dark rooms at all ever) and that his closet door is shut tight. Haven't had to try the spray but I will keep that in mind if his fear gets any bigger.
    kmstockwell

Answer by kmstockwell at 9:16 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I say, go with the Monster B Gone Spray. Get a bottle at the dollar store and fill with water and glitter (the shiny that monsters hate) and spray before bedtime. Under the bed, under the doors, etc. Make sure you make a label for the bottle.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:26 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• you guys have some great ideas, my dd has hit the moster stage yewt she is 2. she does get scared of her room( but is cuz she wnats to be in my bed lol) beofre we go to bed i go over the room with her. and tell her see is all good. in her rrom she is the moster she actually puts a sheet over her head and runs around in theroomyelling am moster am gonna eat you. i wonder if i spray her she will stop trying to eat me during bedtime lol
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:32 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• We have magic lotion here. And it's mommy's lotion, so my son smells like mommy which calms him down. However, magic lotion is the cure-all in my house. You see, monster spray wore out around the closet door at about midnight so we had to put on lotion as repellant because it stays on all night and the monsters will smell it and run away thinking it's a mommy in the room and not a kid. I haven't had any problems in months.
    midnightshadow2

Answer by midnightshadow2 at 6:10 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• There is one more thing I thought of later. Sometimes monster is kid code for something else happening that is bothering them. My friends child's monster was her stepfather, who was molesting her at night. Perhaps that is not your situation, but consider that is an extreme. A scary monster is easier to process than many things for a small child. I would see if there is anything else bothering him and if the spray or other ideas dont work, I would sit down and ask him what the monster looks like, why is it scary? And most importantly I would ask your son how can we stop the monster. It may well be that he has more answers than we cafemoms. While I dont think the answer is always something extreme like in my friends case, we are better parents for being cautious and examining all options. I hope he finds his protection in whatever form it takes.
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 10:51 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I have recently set up all his dinosuars on his dresser and bought him a plush transformer his size that he sleeps with and it actully seems to be working. i tell him if anything comes into his room his transformer will shoot at them and his dinos will attack. I'm suprised how well its working. My son is also fasinated with camping latly so he likes to sleep under his sheets and say he is camping. that way he is not frantically looking around his room.
    ONEHIPMAMMA

Answer by ONEHIPMAMMA at 1:34 AM on Oct. 11, 2009