How do I get a toddler with separation anxiety to sleep all night in HIS bed?

The crying it out does not work on him, His dad works 14 on 14 off on an oil rig so he has a little separation anxiety. When mommy doesnt come he stands up and SCREAMS and cries! He DOES NOT STOP, it is not me wussing out, he really doesnt! Any other suggestions? PLEASE!!!

ShayShayDM

Asked by ShayShayDM at 1:04 AM on Oct. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• yeah crying it out doesnt work on my DD either. I just let her fall asleep with me and when she is asleep i put her in her crib. i think she is slowly but surely getting ready to fall asleep in her own crib. just listen to your baby's needs...they will grow out of it eventually.

p.s. for ex. i thought it wuld be really hard to get my DD off the bottle but after tryin it a few times. i just tried to give her a sippy with milk and that was the last of the bottles! she totally did it on her own.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:17 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• why can't he sleep with you? Or you could move his bed into your room so he's not in your bed but still near you.
    I've no idea really. We co-sleep & bed-share. Good luck.
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 1:51 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I take a child led philosiphy on a lot of my parenting styles. I encourage her to take the course of action I wish for her to take, but never force it. Like for weaning--Ive discouraged her from nursing (while we're at the grocery store, at daycare etc) but I know she's not ready to let it go, so I let her nurse whenever she wants at home.

Same with sleeping. Sure I'd kind of like for her to be in her own room, but I know that right now she still needs mommy's comfort. When she shows me more signs of being able to do it herself, we will for forward with it. Currently she sleeps with her crib set up as a cosleeper with my bed. Next she will be in the same room, but with the beds a few feet apart.

HTH. IDK, its what we do at my house :~)
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 8:00 AM on Oct. 10, 2009