Would you read a "fairy tale" that was geared toward adults?

I have an idea for a story... it might even end up being long enough to be a novel... but would you read a story that had the same basic plot as a fairy tale, you know the princessliving in a magical kingdom in trouble because a stepmother or whomever decided to be a nasty bitch, a sweeping rescue by a noble man with good intentions, blah blah blah... only with a more mature twist? With politics and sex and strong emotions (and time travel, lol)... would you read that? Does that sound interesting?

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 1:19 AM on Oct. 10, 2009 in Just for Fun

• yea i read stuff like that all the time....gregory mcguire writes a lot of stuff like that also!!! Wicked- the life and times of the wicked witch of the west- is my favorite book and i re read it ALL the time!!!
    danette624

Answer by danette624 at 2:38 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I dunno about me i am more into horror and mystery but if it catches my attention i am sure i will lol i am on the search of a good book, Good luck
    waterlily89

Answer by waterlily89 at 1:20 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I sure would, sounds quite entertaining! Although I definitely do not see a market for it, meaning it would not be something to try and publish for profit. But as a cool story on a blog or journal, sure!!!!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 1:22 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• Perhaps......
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 5:49 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• Yep I read them all the time. Stardust was a good one (they made a movie about it) another was Harts Hope that sounds very similar to what you are describing, and there have been a few other adult (not porn) fairy tales I've read. I love them :)

Good luck!
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 8:38 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• there is a serious of soft porn Snow White stories out there. : )
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:48 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• There are many mature fairy tales out there. All of the original Grimm's fairy tales are very adult. Disney and other companies turned them into something kid appropriate. For example, in the real Snow White, the dwarves gang rape her. In the real Cinderella the step sisters cut off their own toes in an attempt to make the glass slipper fit.

If your goal is to write something that a publisher might pick up, I would focus more on the time travel (Sci-fi) aspect of your story. Sci-fi is huge right now and there is a market for it. Where as, fairy tale style stories are numerous.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 11:42 AM on Oct. 11, 2009