Any home remedies for a 6month old with a cold?

My 6 1/2 month old has a bad cold. I checked the pharmacy and the only cold medicine is for ages 2 and older. What do I do besides saline drops and constant nose wiping?? I also put a lil vicks on her chest. Her nose is dripping like a faucet, help!

MyBabyScar

Asked by MyBabyScar at 1:21 AM on Oct. 10, 2009 in Health

• Go into the bathroom, close the door and turn the shower on hot. It will be kinda hellacious sitting there with a tired, cranky baby in a hot, muggy bathroom, but it will definately help you get more goop out of his nose.

Something that really helped my daughter (this is going to sound weird to some of you moms), but putting a drop of breastmilk in her nose before sucking it out helped a LOT. NOt only did it soften the mucus in her nose, but it has targeted antibodies in it for the specific infection she was fighting. It's incredible and she was only sick for 2 days.

I knwo having a sick baby is tough... but she'll live and sleep again :) Good luck!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:25 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• get a humidifier (hot) or vaporizer (cold). They both help alot and you dont have to sit in the bathroom all night wasting water and raising the electric (or gas) bill
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:41 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I can 2nd the BM in the nose!!! Also Is baby sleeping in a crib? If so make a oxygen tent for her. Set a little table beside her bed (where she can't reach it). Set the vaporizer on the table. Take a queen or king size sheet and drape it over the table and the crib making a tent. Make sure you use a big sheet though so it covers the slits in the crib to be sure to keep the moist warm air in the "tent". Also I use a mattress prop to stick under my sons crib mattress when he has a little cold. But, a pillow will work just the same. Just put it under the mattress so she is elevated a little. Make sure you sleep in the room with her. Putting a sheet over top of the crib isn't the safest idea but, it works and makes it easy for her to breathe and SLEEP. Which is what you BOTH are in need of! Good Luck:)

my4littlemen

Answer by my4littlemen at 1:42 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• The humidifier sounds like a good idea even tho some1 told me not to use too much of it cuz its no good for her. The bathroom idea i did a while back when she was younger. I sat in the bathroom with her while my hubby took a shower and it helped her congestion
    MyBabyScar

Answer by MyBabyScar at 12:49 AM on Oct. 11, 2009