Does this ever go away?

O.K. I grew up around kids and very recently became a mother myself. I have loved every second of it but I keep having these fears. Sometimes, I'm afraid to leave him alone in a room in my own home unless the door is locked because I'm afraid he'll disappear. Other times, I'm afraid he'll die of SIDS (it happened to a friend of mine). Then there's also the fear that he'll get sick and I won't be able to help him. I have six older brothers and sisters but they all act like that never happened to them and that I should see a doctor about it. Please tell me that I'm not the only mom to go through this and that it will go away eventually.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:33 AM on Oct. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• no your not the only one. I still do it to all THREE of mine! With my 3rd I got one of those angel care motion monitors and it helped me alot with the SIDS fear! It couldnt hurt to talk to someone to help your anxiety, but NO your not the only one. Many moms are like this
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:35 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I was really paranoid someone would try to steal my son when he was a baby, too. I felt really threatened when people would come up to me and ask about him in stores, etc.
    That has gone away a bit in the two and a half years since he was born, but not entirely. It's my greatest fear after him getting sick and dying.

If the anxiety is affecting your life to the point where you don't or aren't able to do what you need or want to, then I would see a psychologist about it.

I keep reminding myself these things that sometimes happen are rare and not likely to happen to my son or your child. That helps.
    07upsydaisy

Answer by 07upsydaisy at 1:40 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• It completely normal lmao i raised my nieces from birth and i had my son and wow i was so on that wire that i barely got any sleep luckliy that went away... soon enough u will be able to get over the fears, (with out going to a dr. ) Good luck! and congrats
    waterlily89

Answer by waterlily89 at 1:40 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• How old is your child? And do you find these fears debilitating or are you able to function through them? If you are a really new mother there could be some post partum depression going on. If they hinder your life then it wouldn't hurt to talk to your doctor.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 2:11 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I was bothered by the thought of SIDS, hardly got any sleep at all. But I just had to realize that God brought me this child, and that He was in control. I could sleep in the crib with the baby, but it still wouldn't change any outcome that was going to happen or not happen. Once I realized that I could NOT control the world for this child and started praying about it, my anxieties lessened. I think that we have a heightened sense of awareness once we become mothers, and our protectiveness goes into overdrive. I understand, and agree with PP's, that if you think you might have post-partum depression, to talk to your doctor, but I think that your fears are normal. You just have to keep them from consuming your joy and happiness with this baby. Congratulations.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 8:40 AM on Oct. 10, 2009