Why do you care what complete strangers think of you?

I see evidence everyday (especially on this site, which tells me that it is mostly women that feel this way) that people really care a lot about what others think. I am unable to fathom this thought at all, really why is it that you care so much about what complete strangers think of you or your family for that matter (because I do not care what my family (well if I had any other than my son that is) would think of me either? I am who I am take me or leave me, it is your choice as is everything you do. I seriously want to know, because the whole idea makes not one bit of sense to me whatsoever.

truthteller0722

Asked by truthteller0722 at 1:40 AM on Oct. 10, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I don't, I say what I have to say as myself. I do not worry if a bunch of women over the internet like me or not. I love myself, my DH loves me and so do my kids to me thats all that matters :-)
    JAJA_Steele

Answer by JAJA_Steele at 1:45 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• You're completely right and I think it's awesome that you truly don't care what others think of you. I would sell my right arm to feel like that for just one day. I don't know why I care so much, but I do. I totally let others define me. It makes sense in my mind and I'm going to try and explain it. Just because I think I'm a great, honest person doesn't mean a thing. If others that I do business with don't feel that way I lose that complete strangers business and so on. It's kind of like your house, it's only worth as much as somebody else is willing to pay for it. I hope that all makes sense.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:46 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• Okay JAJA but I was curious of all people, like I said I don't even care what my loved ones think of me! I am who I am and I refuse to change for ANYONE at all!!!!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 1:47 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• the only reason i care is because people come so quick to judge that it just bothers me, i mean i carry myself well i am a very respectful lady but when ppl tell me that i must be catholic cause i supposedly breed like a rabbit or tell my husband to watch out and make sure that he doesn't upset cause i am hispanic and supposedly hispanic woman are crazy then i care cause they do not know me at all lol i am a very intelligent person; that has an almost one yr old and another on the way; and that is their business why? but if it comes to ppl over the internet fuck em i don't know them either lol people have a different opinion i just try not to offend ppl with them
    waterlily89

Answer by waterlily89 at 1:48 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• It matters to me because how i act, what i say, how i dress and how i present myself to those in my community affects my children, my husband , my friends etc. If I walk into a IEP meeting for my son looking like a tramp or looking like i just rolled out of bed or using foul language, and acting like someone with no mouth filter then I am less likely to get the people who work with my son to take me seriously. If i run around town and constantly offend people then I have set myself up to have no one who wants to be around me, no one who wants to befriend me.

I choose to let people see who i am but i also choose to do it in a respectful way, I am outspoken and I can be downright rude, but I know my audience and I filter my self for the situation I am in. I don't expect everyone to like me but i try hard not to make enemies or make myself "that mom" that the teachers loath having to deal with. It makes sense for my life.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:51 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I care what my loved ones think because I myself is a reprsentation for my family as each of them are, how I act, speak, things I do reflect back onto them as their actions do to me and the rest of the family. That's why I worry about what my husband or kids think (not that they are old enough to speak their minds yet). To me as long as they are happy as well as I then thats all that matters.
    JAJA_Steele

Answer by JAJA_Steele at 1:52 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• Anon :46........ yes it makes sense, but the way I see it is......if your house is truly worth more than said person is willing to pay than they cannot afford it and someone with the funds to afford it will buy it or it will not be bought. Simple as that! And I see another question coming........ no it would not make a difference to me what my finances were, the home is worth what it is worth and I would not go any lower no matter what!!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 1:52 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I think it's from back when you're a child and how you were raised. Some parents demand strict adherence to their rules and way of doing things...not letting the child figure out what works for THEM. (within reason) It's a result of overbearing parents, I believe.

You've heard of "people pleasers", right? I think that type, who don't want to cause waves are the ones who care what others think about them.

07upsydaisy

Answer by 07upsydaisy at 1:54 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I guess that's a good point truthteller. I'm not sure if I can argue with that. Like I said you're way of thinking is the "right" way. It's just hard to put in practice.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:02 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I am not satisfied with the answers so far. I do not understand how my actions and beliefs and everything else about me reflect on my family. I am my own person, as are my son and my SO. We are 3 very separate individuals, with different likes , dislikes, beliefs and attitudes. It only reflects on your family because you believe that others believe that it does. See this is why my favorite saying is "people are stupid", because the majority of you really are. You claim not to believe in certain things or say that they are not right (conducive to our society as you see it) but yet you are willing to feed into it because it is how the majority see it. Does anyone have a backbone anymore?
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 2:04 AM on Oct. 10, 2009