Non-vaxing parents: What is the best way to protect my children from all of the kids around them who will be shedding the H1N1 virus after getting the nasal mist vaccine?

The nasal mist vaccine is available for free to many kids in my community next week. 90% of the children in my community qualify, and of those the papers are reporting that 75% will be receiving it, including nearly all of the children my kids have regular contact with at playgroups and storytimes.

I'm concerned that with nearly 70% of the families around us getting a vaccine that will shed the live virus, there's going to be a no way to keep from getting exposed! Should we just hole up in our house for two weeks?!

EmeraldsMommy

Asked by EmeraldsMommy at 1:54 AM on Oct. 10, 2009 in Health

• I would try to limit my contact outside. Take extra Vit C, A and D as well as Omega's and other things which boost immunity.

remember, it's not the end of the world if your child gets exposed. ...If you boost their immunity and yours, you might be exposed to the virus but never show symptoms, and then you'd have a natural built up immunity or defense to it for future "outbreaks".
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:04 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• We are taking some precautions around here. This is what we're doing: Emergen-C packets, Sambucol or black elderberry, Tulsi Tea. Lots of sun, sanitizer and handwashing. The sambucol is good if you feel like you are coming down with a virus and the Tulsi is a VERY powerful, natural antiviral. We drink at least 2 cups each a day around here. If my glands start getting swollen, I drink 4 packets of emergen-c throughout the day and I wake up feeling better. Like the previous poster said, build your immunity. Eating lots of fruits and veggies will help the immune system too.
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 2:16 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• Thanks ladies. We already do take measures to boost our immune systems, so we'll probably be fine... Plus we were exposed to it once this summer when my mom had it, so obviously exposure does not equal getting it! I

'm just frustrated that SO much of my community is going to be carrying it around with them and shedding it everywhere they go, that it's actually going to make the stupid thing worse! Ugh, I'm just gonna carry disinfecting wipes with me everywhere I go, LOL

By the way, thus far there have been NO reported cases in my school district. Wanna bet we won't be able to say that a month from now?
    EmeraldsMommy

Answer by EmeraldsMommy at 2:44 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• well i wont totally keep them in hiding because there bodies do need to build up an immunity.. just make sure you all wash your hands cafefully, especially when you leave a public place!!! grocery stores are disgustingly filled with germs. tell your kids to stay away from water fountains, magazines and books in a dr office, anything that other people can cough on be causous about.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:47 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• Probiotics (increases immunity by 20%)

Echineacea (3 weeks on, one week off)

Hand washing

Hands off face

Lots of water

Eliminate/reduce: white sugar, processed grains like white flour, dairy meat

Lots of fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes.

Get plenty of sleep

Answer by rkoloms at 10:17 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• Caution on hand sanitizers! A study last year by UVA reported that they can help spread the flu virus-- they only work for bacteria. They keep viruses cool and wet, making it easier to spread. If you're in a pinch, use wipies. The wiping motion will remove more virus.

Lysine naturally works as an anti-viral.

Alkaline bodies are near impenetrable. Get eating those dark greens.

Stay away from kids who are touching their faces, have runny noses, etc just like you normally do. Bring your own snacks and don't let your kids share like they normally do at story time and play group.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:44 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• Wash hands and put colloidal silver on them. Look into making your own colloidal silver.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I've been reading on here all I can on other moms opinions about getting the vax.  Thankyou for posting this!  I didn't realize people would be "shedding" the virus!  Can I ask though, why aren't you getting the vax?  I keep seeing moms say that it's bad and they aren't going to get it but I don't know why.  When I google it, every website makes the vax sound like a miracle or something. 

Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 12:44 PM on Oct. 10, 2009