is eating ice the same as drinking water?

I know its dumb but I really want to know, I have a 3-d ultra sound coming up and I have to drink at least 100 oz of water a day which is almost impossible for me, but I can eat ice like crazy. So is it the same?

BTW-I know this is stupid...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:03 AM on Oct. 10, 2009 in Just for Fun

• sure. But I don't know how you would measure each piece or tsp or cube - maybe there's some kind of conversion on the net somewhere.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 2:05 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I'm not sure but I was told that eating ice swells you i guess u get fat or something...
    MyBabyScar

Answer by MyBabyScar at 2:05 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• You don't have to drink that much water. When I had my ultrasound I drank the recommended amount of water and was sooooo full I puked all over the office before my ultrasound. I threw up so much water they didn't think they were going to be able to see, but they did. Anyway, yes it's the same but it's so bad for your teeth! I shivered when I read this, but hey if you can do it have at it. Good luck with your ultrasound.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:09 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I do not know but that is a good question because I have seen when people are in the hospital, especially when I have seen women in labor at the hospital ask for water the nurse always says no I cannot give you water but I can get you ice chips. I have heard this so much and always wondered what the difference was.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 2:17 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I agree with anon
    and the same thing happened to me when i was preggo with my first. i drank as much water as i was told to and then throw up as i was walking into the room to get my ultrasound.
    And chewing ice is bad for your teeth.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:18 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• ive actauly had a slight addiction to chewing it during this pregnancy...ice chips, or crushed ice...yum! but i would think its the same thing! go for it, but i would still drink a lot too!
    danette624

Answer by danette624 at 2:30 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• When you go to have your kid they don't let you eat or drink anything! But they let you eat unlimited amount of ice? I thought eating ice would be the same as drinking water?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:20 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• They just want your bladder to be full so that the baby (fetus) is pushed up higher so that the ultrasound image comes out more clear.
    Ice cream doesn't count, but you don't have to drink all that water, either.
    In my day (way back in the olden days...lol) we only had to drink 32 oz of water for a good ultrasound, but things may be different with a 3-D ultrasound.
    Don't gulp the water at the last minute, drink it steadily about an hour before your appointment so it has time to go through your kidneys down into your bladder.
    Best wishes on your ultrasound!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 5:29 AM on Oct. 10, 2009