• In the Spotlight:

Dogs and the Weather

What type of dog can hold his or her own in the winter and summer?

SeedsOfLove

Asked by SeedsOfLove at 2:35 AM on Oct. 10, 2009 in Pets

• I am guessing you mean out doors, where I live no dog should be left out doors in the winter ever it is too cold and every year some owner thinks all that fur will keep them warm and the dog dies, last year a dog actually was frozen to the cement it was sad and there was alot of outrage over it.

in the summer generally if you provide fresh water every day that stays cool and plenty of shade then your pet will be fine, maybe not comfortable but will be okay. we have misters in the shade set up for ours and I give them fresh water 3 times per day and add ice to it to keep it cool.

There are breeds that do better than others in different types of weather, the best thing to do is research the breed you have or want and see what the history is, where do they come from? what do they tolerate well.

3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:45 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I know dobermans don't have that extra (2nd) coat of fur and can't be left out in the winter months. Huskies could probably handle any weather. But I agree with PP, research different dog breeds.
    Anonymous

• I didn't mean for a pet to be left outdoors. I just meant overall with spending time outside in hot or cold or rainy or dry weather. You know. Just an honest approach to real life with pets. But thanks.
    SeedsOfLove

Answer by SeedsOfLove at 2:03 AM on Feb. 4, 2010