11 month old and medicine

I am having trouble getting my dd to take her medicine, I have tried in a bottle with juice, she will not drink her med.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:39 AM on Oct. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• get one of those siringe droppers and put it on the pack of her tongue by her teeth and gradually push the meds in.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:30 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I've been giving my daughter meds since she was 2 weeks old. She is now 3 and can already swallow pills since she takes so many of them. I would use a syringe and give it to her. If she still pushes it out of her mouth, the other option is to plug her nose while you give it to her so she will swallow. Sounds horribly mean I know, but this is what needs to be done when your child wont take medicine. Then the last resort is to hog tie them. I felt AWFUL but my daughter has a lot of medical problems which she needed all of her meds not just a little bit of them. Good Luck, hopefully she will just take it with the syringe!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 8:17 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• It's not wise to ever add medication to foods or drinks... for 2 reasons... one they catch on and then will stop eating or drinking those thing and 2 you are adding more volume to take... so rather than giving a couple of mL's of medication to take they then have to take OUNCES to get the full dose and if they don't finish it they don't get the full dose.
    That said... when giving medication... lay your child down and put the syringe back along the cheeck and then squeeze her cheeks to make fishy lips, this makes it harder to spit out. Then put tiny amounts of the medicine in her mouth at a time while you blow fast puffs of air in her face. The puffs of air cause a swallow reflex.
    And then no matter how terrible it went... even if you are convered in the meds... Praise praise praise when you are finished.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:02 PM on Oct. 10, 2009