Germ killers

Which do you think works better at killing germs? Flu season is coming up and i need to protect my kids but i am not sure which one would work the best. oust,Lysol,Clorox?

proudmom34

Asked by proudmom34 at 7:48 AM on Oct. 10, 2009 in Health

• Bleach kills germs. But it also bleaches. Lysol is also a germ killer. For hand cleaning, scrubbing the hands under running warm water, with soap, for 20 seconds (sing happy birthday to yourself twice) breaks up and washes away germs.

Answer by Bmat at 8:16 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• lysol os my friend!!!
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 8:47 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• None of the above.

This Is what we use for most cleaning (initially used as part of my daughter's 6th grade science fair project). It is cheap (my favorite) and non-toxic.
    1/4 cup white vinegar
    3/4 cup warm tap water
    1 tablespoon baking soda
    10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)
    2 drops oil of lavender essential oil (optional) (antiseptic and smells nice)

Answer by rkoloms at 10:14 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• The chemicals you mentioned are extremely dangerous. The PP recipe on natural cleaning is a good idea. The commercial products can cause asthma flare ups (chlorine bleach is a serious culprit) and have petrochemicals that can absorb through the skin and bio-accumulate in the fat tissue (the brain and genitals) and lead to countless health problems.

Bleach also causes mold to spores to spread. The EPA website can give you this info.

Don't believe commercials.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:38 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I use a botanical disinfectant. We just got the results back last week that it kills swine flu...in addition to many other common household germs. I would not touch lysol or bleach...YIKES! Besides it makes me sick to my stomach.
    Straight vinegar then peroxide would be my next choice.
    Stay Healthy
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 11:27 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• P.S. The Science Spot profile page has an excellent post regarding the difference and how to kill a virus. she gives some really great options of things you can use. :)
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 11:29 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• None of the above. I use a private label product that's been proven to be better than any commercially available product.
    Anonymous